Sluggish / Slow

10

Asked by Oct 30, 2012 at 12:40 AM about the 2003 Dodge Intrepid SE

I have a 2003 Dodge Intrepid 2.7 SE with aprox 158.00 miles  I've done maintenance as indicated by
manufacture, but I've noticed that the car seems sluggish, service engine light NOT on, NO codes, just
slower. Once it reaches speeds of 40 MPH it works like a champ and speeds quickly without a problem.
Can anyone relate to this problem? Does anyone have any suggestions?  

245

Does it act this way only when warming up? Does the temp outside have any impact on the symptoms? How long ago did these symptoms start?

10

I test drove the car per your question, the sluggish feeling is 90 % of the time the car is cold, I have not noticed the car acting any different, it seems to be all the time, cold. hot. warm weather, and I think Iv'e noticed this for about a month ago. man, Any suggestions? Please =)

245

Does the engine seem to misfire at all or stumble. Have you noticed any difference in the way the transmission is shifting? Right now I'm leaning toward a problem with the transmission solenoid putting the transmission into "limp mode" but if the engine is stumbling, misfiring then it may be an ignition control electronics issue.

Have you replaced the catalytic converter? Often when these things are getting clogged up a car will act like this. Once you get to 40 and force the exhaust out it will run OK, but only for a time. I'd suggest going to a reputable exhaust shop and have them physically check it. This requires that they remove the cat and shine a light in one end while looking in the other end to see how much of the honeycomb is left. (I used to work in an exhaust shop this is the best way to check).