check oil light on

Asked by May 07, 2012 at 01:08 PM about the 2003 Dodge Intrepid SE

Daughter is away at college. Calls to tell me "check oil light" is on all the time. Has been "for weeks". Oil level is good, oil is clean, recently changed. Engine runs good, no noises per daughter. Where should I start? If oil pressure has been low all this time, wouldn't she have had some major problems? Car has 113,000 miles on it and I just want to get it to last until she gets through college! Rest of car is in great shape.

3,465

My only thing i could think of is that a senor is gone bad or has sence something deep down inside the mortor im not for sure.

9,775

more than likely the oil pressure sending unit, but have it checked out as soon as you can.

1,675

check the oil pump and the oil pressure sensor... they might need replacing...

1,245

indeed, check the sensor 1st, if it was on the whole time for weeks it would have been severely damaged by now

6,715

I know there is a TSB from chrysler to put a vent tube aka and extra wire in the oil sending units connector and replace theswitch,I would check with an analog guage to check the pressure, if the light comes on at stops and low rpm's the tsb will more than likely apply.

45

normally a local auto parts store has a code reader and doesnt charge to diagnose it... oreillys, advance auto, autozone,napa...

615

with the intrepids you can turn the key to on position and then turn the key forward 3 times not starting the car and it will show you the codes for whats wrong where your mileage is shown. then just look up the codes online

6,715

2000 model year is the only year since 1995 you can not do that with just FYI oh and 2008 to present

10

Chris is right, if the switch has been changed and oil light still flickers or comes on at stop light and the motor doesn't tick or knock, there is a bulletin to add a vent tube wire about $25 for the part and they'll probably charge an hour labor at your local Chrysler dealer to install. The bulletin is categorized under 2.7 intrepid. Done several.