Clutch stopped working

25

Asked by Nov 04, 2011 at 01:06 AM about the 1988 Volkswagen Jetta GL

So, i have a 5 speed manual trans and the clutch just stopped working.  I pulled the tranny and found the thrust plate had a hole in it.  Replaced that and still no clutch.  After reading various posts, decided to look at the release bearing and clutch release lever. Not sure what a bad throw out bearing looks like but the clutch release lever looked solid still. Since I already had the end of the tranny off to inspect the clutch release lever, I pulled the push rod and found out that even though there was a hole in the thrust plate, it was not big enough for the push rod to go through, got to that before it went out.  Back to trying to diagnose the original problem with my clutch just stop working. I do not hear any noise when I push the clutch and the cable is also brand new. When started, I cannot put the car in gear with out getting major grinding, telling me that the clutch itself is still good it's the engaging of the clutch that is the problem. Please help, I am tried of the horrible gas mileage of my truck.haha.  I can send pics of any part if needed. Thanks,

15

Are you sure your clutch cable is properly adjusted? Have you replaced your Pressure plate? I believe the 16v Pressure plate is stronger and often used as an upgrade for the 8 valves... What order have you installed your clutch pressure plate and flywheel? are you aware that VW installs theirs in a different order than most other cars? and have you used your clutch alignment tool? sounds like a faulty or improperly installed Pressure Plate.

25

Haha. I actually just re-dropped the tranny to look at the pressure plate. Right now, I am having some trouble getting the bolts off the pressure plate. I know I will have to put new bolts on the pressure plate because they stretch. It's the last piece of the puzzle. Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

525

Also check if you put the clutch plate on the wright way.It should say on plate face to which side to engine on one side