2004 Ford Explorer Crank Pulley Problem

35

Asked by Jan 27, 2007 at 11:07 AM about the 2004 Ford Explorer XLT V8 AWD

I have a 2004 Ford Explorer that was bought new from the dealer. It has 48k miles on it and just recently started making a loud screeching noise. Brought it a trusted mechanic (not the dealer as I have had horrible experiences with them from day one) and was told that the crank pulley was put on backwards. The mechanid showed me and explained showing that the serpentine belt was not able to ride along the propoerly grooved and smooth edges because the crank pulley had been put on backwards. He told me to take it up with Ford, which I did. Ford corporate customer service was of absolutely no help at all and basically directed me to the dealer.  The dealer directed me back to them...crazy!  The dealership told me very rudely that there was no way the crank pulley could have been put on backwards. 2 weeks after my car totally died in a busy intersection and I had it towed to teh closest auto garage. They told me after putting it on diagnosis that the pcs (mainframe computer system) needed to be reflashed and that only Ford could do that. Ford dealership told them that they would have to charge me again for teh diagnosis fee ($95) even though this other mechanic had already done it. Upon Ford dealer looking at it they call me to say that the crank pulley has now fallen apart completely and needs to be replaced...a $650 charge. ?! And that they can't check the pcs or anything else until they replace the crank pulley entirely. The whole things just sounds wierd and unexplained to me as well as fishy especially after having 2 other mechanics look at the car. Has anyone else experienced this or similar problems? What is your opinion as to who to believe here? And does anyone out there know if it is in fact possible for them to have put the crank pulley on backwards when teh car was manufactured?

14,920

Dear chickatadesk-- I would say that your problems is a legal one, not a mechanical one. I don't want to take sides in this issue because some of my best friends are car dealers. But, if I was in your situation here in Massachusetts, I would contact the state Attorney General's office and the Better Business Bureau. Good luck from Bovan.

19,820

A relative has been employeed at dealerships for well over 40 years. Working himself up from salesman to general manager. You must keep in mind new car dealerships are nothing more than mechanic shops which also sell cars. According to my relative the repair shop should generate at least three times the revenue as the sales department.

Technically speaking, it is impossible for the pulley to installed backwards without causing a noticeable oil leak. More than likely what has happened is the outer metal section of the harmonic balancer separated from the rubber spacer that separates the inner balancer hub from the outer pulley. This rubber spacer acts as a "vibration dampener". I have an '04 Explorer that the HB has failed 2000 miles after a full engine rebuild at 105,000 miles. As much as I enjoy this vehicle it has been the most horrific purchase in my life! The over all build quality is abysmal. Ford should be ashamed of itself.

74,515

The pulley cannot be installed backwards but it is possible for some harmonic balancers to come apart.