Do Chevy Volt values drop drastically when they are over 100,000 miles and the battery is out of warranty?

Asked by Jul 30, 2016 at 12:02 AM about the 2011 Chevrolet Volt Premium

I'm looking at a 2011 Volt with 127K miles.  Dealer has it at $9995 and this site indicates that it is overpriced by over $5,000!  Is this an error, or is it due to the battery being beyond the 100,000 mile warranty?

120

batteries are about a 100 bucks, over priced, hhave you tried kelly blue book

The Volt is powered primarily by a very expensive high voltage battery with an 8 year / 100K warranty. That is the one I was referring to, not the $100 12V battery. Thanks.

13,345

Its difficult to give a Chevrolet Volt away ask the dealer to pay you to take it! These are a BAD JOKE played on the public...Amid dismal Volt sales, Chevy to halt production for retooling..Chevy halts Volt build to avoid glut, prep for new model - USA Today...Beginning in 2016, Chevy Volt Will No Longer be Available in Europe ...No ones purchasing this (Volt) NIGHTMARE.

120

lol, ok, i feel old and dumb, good luck

Thanks for the answers. I should have been clearer in my initial post. My question really is with the calculation model that this site uses to estimate market value. For some reason, CarGurus is valuing the particular Volt I'm interested in at less than 50% of what the dealer is asking. At the same time, the dealer's price seems in line with other listings. The only rationale I could come up with was that it was due to the high mileage. However, when I checked it against listings for some other Volts with 100K+ (beyond HV battery warranty), CarGurus valued them considerably higher. Seems like a bug in CarGuru's valuation model.

35

Being a dealer too.it is worth nothing.nobody can fix it.only replace parts and hoping for the best...not acceptable

13,345

Cargurus doesn't know (fair value) its simply an algorithm of cars listed on their site. Run by a group of IT guys of course there's a glitch! I could be in error, I HAVE NOT FULLY CHECKED YET, But Cargurus is an advertising / Marketing device for Dealers who pay a fee, likely a pricey (Glitch) fee at that. This site earns a Revenue $50 to $100 million (USD) per year of dollars, Dealers pay a large portion of it. CarGurus Overview Website www.cargurus.com Headquarters Cambridge, MA, Size 201 to 500 employees Founded 2006 Type Company - Private Industry Information Technology ALSO IN THE UK

Thanks again for the replies. I am new to this site and just discovered that, once looking at the specific listing, you can click "view analysis" and get a scatter diagram of the listings used to form their estimate. It appears that they use available listings to form a best-fit line which presumes that (for a given model year) value is directly related to mileage. That probably sets the base value of the vehicle, from which they add or subtract, based on options and condition. This might partially explain why the valuation I looked at was inaccurate. The car had much higher mileage that any of the listings used to determine their value vs. mileage relationship. Put another way, they did not have enough data on similar vehicles to make a meaningful valuation estimate.