2012 Camry Clicks Doesn't Start

20

Asked by Aug 09, 2016 at 01:16 PM about the 2012 Toyota Camry LE

I have Toyota Camry LE 2012 and recently its given me trouble to turn on. I
get in car, push down the brake, push the start button and the car will click
and the inside lights/ radio/ AC will come on but car does not. Then, I
release my foot from the brake, push the start button (to turn off the
lights/AC/radio). I, then, attempt again. Push brake, then push the start
button, car will struggle to turn on, it sound like its struggling to stay on and
then finally turns on. If it doesnt turn on the second time, it definately turns
on the third time. It hasn't gone past 3 attempts. It has started doing it every
other day (at least) now.

I've taken it to Toyota to check out and they cannot find anything.

Additionally, I noticed the other day, the sun roof window would not close. I
kept trying and trying until it eventually closed.

Could be electrical issue? Starter? Battery? Not sure. Nobody can find an
answer to it. Please please help!!

1,120

The diagnosis starts with a Volt/Ohm Meter and a thorough search for Toyota Service Bulletins for this Make Model Year. One would also have a Scan Tool installed to check Computer inputs/outputs. Is the CEL(Check Engine Light) ON when the Engine is running?

12,105

Electrical issue. First test to perform is starter circuit voltage drop test. Difficult to know if you're referring to a rotation cranking problem or ignition start up problem. So curious whats the The NAME of the Toyota dealer?

1,120

I would be inclined to attempt a Jump Start when this issue arises. That would rule out a weak battery. Must be very careful here...jump starting a modern car could be a disaster Best to look up the correct procedure. .

20

@Tony It turned on the CEL when it started with the issue. I saw it maybe twice, it wasnt consistent and hasnt been on in months. Toyota told me that they couldn't find the issue until they had the CEL on. :(

20

@Auto_Centric I took it to Toyota of Irving (Irving, Texas).

1,120

How often does this issue surface.....rarely....about half the time....nearly every time you attempt to start this vehicle.? Knowing that Code(s) that were set in the Computer is essential for the proper diagnosis. Any chance of driving this car to an AutoZone...or...other auto parts store near by. They will scan your car for codes for Free. Call them up first to see if they have this "free" service. We need to know the Alpha/Numerical codes stored. Could simply be a battery going bad. Problem is...just disconnecting the battery for replacement can cause other issues to surface. Another special tool is needed to keep memory alive while a battery DC is involved.

20

@Tony the issue has been more often recently, maybe at least every other day it will happen once or twice. The codes you are asking about is when CEL comes on, right? I have not seen the CEL light come in for months. Is there a way to get codes scanned without the CEL on?

1,120

Yes....if the problem or concern occurs frequently enough....the code(s) will be stored in memory and retrievable with the proper Scan Tool. Call up some local auto parts stores and ask if they provide a scan of your computers fro FREE. Write the codes down and get back to us.

20

@Tony will do! Hopefully they can find something. I wondered why Toyota of Irving wasn't able to read any codes from computer without CEL on. I will get back to you with codes.

20

@Tony they plugged in the reader and said the alternator failed. He recommended to replace. Does this sound like it would fix the issue?

1,120

A bad Alt will prevent the Battery from being fully charged.....which could indeed cause this issue. Did they mention what Code was stored?. The code should be a combination of a letter and numbers.

20

No, and we got into conversation about the issue and didn't ask for code. It is all making sense as to why it struggles to turn on. I assume the issue with the moonroof not opening is due to not enough voltage available?

1,610

OK...if we assume the "reader" is correct...then indeed you need to consider replacing the Alt. Also consider the Battery on this vehicle is almost 5 YO.....and...should be tested with the appropriate Battery Tester. Interesting...keep us up to Date and good luck.

1,610

So...what happened? Hopefully fixed?

20

I was out of town last week and back today. I will be replacing the alt. to see if that does the trick. I will keep you posted. Thank you so much.

1,610

Much appreciated. Thanks