My 2012 Camry has a push button start. Twice now the car has turned itself on while parked and I am far away with the keys. The car remains locked and the engine runs until I return. Without the keys inside the car or the brake petal pressed how can it start?

Asked by Sep 08, 2015 at 07:44 PM about the 2012 Toyota Camry SE

Is this a HYBRID vehicle?

No, it's not a hybrid. Just a standard Camry SE. No remote start capability.

I'm assuming you are within hearing distance of this vehicle when you hear it start up by itself. Are you walking away.....returning to....this vehicle? Did you park near any power lines? You might want to do a detailed search of the Owner's Manual. There might be a 'Lock" feature we are not aware of. Have you had this vehicle since it was NEW? Is this a new problem that has surfaced? Are there any warning lights on when the engine is running?

The second time it happened I was within sight of the car. It was in the parking lot outside my office. I noticed my phone had switched over to Bluetooth connection to my car radio and saw outside the car was on- wipers going and exhaust coming out of the muffler. I've read on some other forums that consensus is the car wasn't really off when parked. I know for sure that it was off yesterday when this occurred the second time. I pay attention now that this had happened before. I push the button to turn off the car and check the dash lights and sounds to ensure the car is off.

Is there an extra "KEY" for this vehicle and who has it in their possession? This is getting a little scary. Who owned this vehicle before you?

No one has another key. I just bought the car at Car Max a few months ago. Theoretically could remote start key fobs cross signals? This never happens at home. It happens out in parking lots with many other cars. you purchased this car used. Now...lets hope the owner's manual and the original window sticker is still in the glove box or center arm rest console. We need to know whether or not this vehicle was built with a "remote start feature". This feature would be indicated on that window sticker. If this vehicle is receiving a signal from other than YOUR smart indeed must have a remote start feature. Is it possible you are not shutting down this vehicle properly? order to resolve this issue...we need to know a lot more about this car than we do at the present time. READ the OWNER'S the absent of a window sticker.....a trip to the Toyota dealer should solve this issue. They can...using your VIN # research this vehicle.

BTW...absent an Owner's Manual" I seem to recall...simply pushing the button once without putting her in park and applying the brake...puts her in Acces. ...not OFF....In the acces can use your radio...etc...without.running the engine. If you walk away and it stays in the Acces. mode....she may start up and run in order to keep the battery from going dead. The answer to this issue is in the Owner's Manual".