Why dowes my 2003 caravan hesitate at start up to go into drive

Asked by Aug 04, 2014 at 07:16 AM about the 2003 Dodge Caravan Sport

Fortunately this is not happening every time I start my van, but I worry that it will
someday not go into drive, and I will then be unable to get to work, graveyard shift....
When I start up and put into Drive, it does not engage, and I wait a few seconds, and
then it engages all is fine from then on. It has happened perhaps 6 times, in 9 months,
and the first time was 5 months into my ownership. I will have owned this 2003 Caravan
for 1 year come next month,September..

142,885

Start by checking transmission fluid. Check in Park at normal operating temperature, engine running, parked on level surface. Also have a good look at the fluid on the dipstick, needs to be nice and red/light red and not have a burnt odor. If it's a brown tint it needs to be changed, but a drain and fill only not a flush. Hopefully that's all it is, they don't have to lose much to cause your symptoms, as little as 1/2 quart low will do that.

Will do, thank you for your fast reply. I was just at the dealership where I purchased it last week, and they "topped off" my fluids. It was in for an oil change ( supplied free for life, came with the purchase )..I guess they don't really look for issues, and I did not mention it. I will take a look at the color..thanks again!