My 89 500sel goes into limp home mode constantly

Asked by Jan 21, 2015 at 08:50 PM about the 1989 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class 500SL

Hi,
ASR light comes on as soon as try to drive car , then goes into limp home, stopping and
restarting vehicle removes light and resets but as soon as try accelrate or drive for 2-3
yards light comes back on and car goes into limp ?

500 SEL G plate

5,195

You will probably need to replace your computer. It is protecting the engine/transmission when it does this. Contact your MB dealer for an estimate. Sit down!

5,195

Wait... sorry, I didn't pay attention to the year. I am not sure if the 89 has the computer or not. If it does there is the problem.

I fixed mine definitely by myself and you could do it too. 1- Open the hood, Jack the vehicle. On both front tires you will see a cable that looks like a Rca jack that connect to the brakes but it's bigger than RCA jack. 2- Follow that RCA cable to the hood and on the other end tou will see 2 small white wires that bring power to ASR and ABS system cut those 2 wires and you automatically disable the ASR and you solve the problem. As you know the ASR system is good for snow, it's like a 4 by 4 and you will need it later to drive safely in bad weather when there is snow. What to do next. After cutting the 2 small wires, I put 2 swiches in case I need the ASR in bad weather.One swich for ASR and the other one for ABS. when you cut one wire you connect both ends to the swich and you do the same for the second wire that you cut. The only one thing you will see is the ASR and ABS light will turn on on the dash. When driving in bad weather, open the hood and turn on the swich.

5,195

Don't know how you figured that one out but congratulations.