Regular vs premium gas (type 3)

Asked by Jul 21, 2015 at 01:27 PM about the 1973 Volkswagen Type 3 Sedan

I just purchased a 1973 type 3, Varient L, station wagon. The person who sold it to me
says to use premium gas. Is this true?

69,295

I run premium in everything except my S-10 pick up truck. That's my beater. Premium burns hotter and cleaner thereby reducing the amount of deposits left behind. Premium is also better for cars that don't get much use. Premium "keeps" longer. Both my '00 Grand Prix and '94 Fleetwood are driven about 500 miles per year. I never use a fuel stabilizer and both cars sit a lot. But I do fill them up with premium when I park them. I'd also be concerned about using unleaded gas in your VW. I don't know when VW made the switch to hardened valves and seats. For GM it was 1971 but I don't know about VW. Perhaps someone else can chime in on that for you. HTH. -Jim