check engine light

5

Asked by Jun 02, 2008 at 06:33 PM about the 2004 Dodge Stratus SE

my check engine light has been on for over a year the dealership can't figure out whats wrong the only thing i can tell is wrong is when its cold and i start it up the rpms will drop and the car will shake till the rpms are raised does anyone know anything

3,255

Take your car to Autozone, they can plug in a scanner and check that code that is throwing the CEL. they will do this for free. Write down the code, it will be in the form of PXXXX. That code will give you reference to what the issue is..... you can either look it up yourself of post it here and someone should be able to help

35

tell your dealer to check for TSB's on your car. mine had a TSB for the signal wire that went from the PCM to the crank position sensor. the belts were chewing threw the wire causing the car to stall, shake, and basically be a pain in my ass. Spent 1600 replacing the distributer, plugs and wires and the whole time this stupid wire was arcing. fixed it for 30 cents with some electrical caps.

70

if it puffs black smoke out, check to see that the o2 sensor wires aren't melted and grounding out. i worked on a neon where the 5 volt supply for the o2 heater was melted and grounding out. the coolant temp ran off the same 5 volt supply from the pcm and would sense cold and load the motor up with fuel. just a guess