Front End - Loud Pop When Turning

25

Asked by Jun 05, 2014 at 07:50 AM about the 1988 Dodge RAM 150 Long Bed

My '88 D150 V6 Makes a loud pop when turning in the neighborhood and when pulling into my driveway.  Seems to be comming from the passenger side.  Checked ball joints by lifting under the shock absorber, wheel off the ground, pushing up and down on the tire - no movement.  Should I use more force by prying to check ball joints?  Any other problems I should be looking for?  Thanks in advance for suggestions.

16,965

First minor problem is you don't know what you are doing. not a good place to start a d.i.y. course......you need someone beside you to show you what to check and how to check it.

40

i had a popping noise on the front of my truck found out it was the bearings when i lost my front wheel good place to start

25

Thanks dhobbs. I replaced the wheel bearings when I heard an awful grinding noise. They were shot and tore up my rotor as well - so that got replaced too. The popping in the front end wasn't as bad at the time and I just thought it was an old truck groaning, but now it's gotten bad enough to stand the hairs up on the back of my neck and I refuse to drive it until it's taken care of.

25

Chassy; your statement was nothing but the obvious. All of my friends that used to help me with this kind of stuff have passed away. The love I have for this old beater is what keeps me going, and I work on it myself as a way to remember my old friends and the times we had together. If you'd like to offer a suggestion that is helpful, I'd love to read it. Wasting both of our time (yours in posting your reply and mine for reading it) isn't something I consider constructive. Thanks anyway.

16,965

Sorry but I have to stick with my first answer.Your original question shows me that you haven't got enough experience with front end work to be doing this on your own, I do indeed hear where you are coming from but sorry.

16,965

@jhoward- There are a bunch of guys in my group of friends,and we are all darn handy; but , one of them just has never been able to do anything when it comes to electrical repairs (car,house,boat,whatever).I would NEVER walk him through an electrical problem on the phone - never mind by trying to explain in writing. Again that is just how it is,