BELT BROKE WONT START - PLZ HELP

Asked by Apr 17, 2014 at 06:36 PM about the 2004 Dodge Stratus ES

My 2004 dodge stratus ES which oddly enough has a 2.4L-G..when selecting it online you have to pick a reg stratus so you can select a G..anyway..mitsubishi engines ..

I was driving along and it immediately slowed down and I had to pull over, pay for a tow truck, and then figure it out. So my steps that I have taken to fix so far have been as follows.
After replacing fuel pump and battery - first guesses, my father and I realize the crank shaft was not turning when trying to start. Then we noticed the belt broke right off and after taking the remaining belts off and cover, we expose the lower crank and see the shreds of belt wrapped around it, and the crank shaft shield and sensor were damaged.

1. FUEL PUMP REPLACEMENT + NEW BATT
2.ALL 4 NEW BELTS
3. CRANK SHAFT SENSOR SHIELF + C.S. SENSOR(were damaged when belt broke)
4. NEW ALTERNATOR (because it was seized up, nothing to do with actual issue)
5.REMOVED SPARK PLUGS - HAVE PRESSURE - TIMING SEEMS TO BE IN PLACE - NOT SURE IF THERE IS SPARK COMING FROM PLUGS THOUGH.

No idea what else it could be. Some say computer, don't think the valves are bent because I was able to turn the crank shaft by hand when timing it. Any ideas would be a great help. Not so sure it is the coil(s) - Not sure if it could be something with the fuel line, but I have no leak and I put in a fuel injector cleaner every 6 months or so.
When we first put on the new timing belt there was a terrible knocking noise you only really heard inside the car when attempting to start, not outside. We realized we must have had it 180 degree backward, fixed it and no more loud noise. Feeling lost.

Please email me back at my personal email.
MA.Hatch.Matthew@gmail.com

222,365

wow, what a mess.

105,745

Being able to turn it by hand does not mean the valves are not bent. Do a compression check on each cylinder. Any showing 0 psi have bent valves. I would almost bet you have several bent. 2.4 Mitsubishi engines are known for this happening. If yours has don't panic to bad. Remove head, replace the bent valves and all valve guide seals. Reinstall head put new water pump and timing belt on along with all new timing idler pullies. And you back on the road good as new. It's not all that hard of a job on that engine.

40

Dandyoun and/or MyStratusSucks ... can you give me an estimate on what it would cost to fix the loss of power issue? I've got a dodge stratus 2001 that's doing this too and have no idea what I should budget for it.

40

It just loses power and then might start up again, Might run for 5 minutes or an hour, then dies again.

Pos catalyst converter cloged