2004 dodge neon sxt has been sitting for over a year, now it won't start

Asked by May 22, 2014 at 04:34 PM about the 2004 Dodge Neon 4 Dr SXT Sedan

i've only started the car a couple of times in the past year.  i tried starting it the other day.  
it didn't even sound like it wanted to start.  today i am trying some starter fluid (in one of
the spark plugs?)  I want to get a good idea of what's wrong before I take it to a mechanic.
The worse would be the timing belt which is complicated to get to.  Thanks for any
suggestions of things to check and how to check as to why it won't start.

16,035

old gas is often the problem, I assume it's turning over with some umph (ie: starter turning with good battery power?)

3,795

you would spray starter fluid into the intake. not directly into a cylinder. if it's not turning over at all, the battery may be too dead. try jump starting it, or take the battery to an auto parts store and have them test it for you.