I have a 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 that will click but not crank on start up. After trying to start numerous times and 10 min later it will start. Dealer cannot diagnos the problem cause it wont act up while there. can you help?

Asked by Jan 21, 2014 at 10:33 AM about the 2012 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab 4WD

209,995

Your battery cables/grounds might be loose or corroded, and when cold they don't have a good connection.

90

I have the same problem with the same yr/make/model. I have had it in to the dealer 5 times and still not properly diagnosed. It is actually at the dealer now for the same problem for the 6th time. They have tried chaning the W.I.N. module, resetting error codes, changing the radio/nav unit and nothing works. I am contacting a lemon law attorney. Hope it worked out for you.

80

I have a 2012 Ram 1500 Crew cab w/5.7l Hemi 4x2. I have the identical problem. My truck is back at the dealer now for the 8th time. They have told me everything from "Its a w.i.n. module" to "It is due to the after-market radio". All of those have been replaced and it still happens. Every time it happens, if I put it in neutral it will start. The dealer says that they have sent the question to Chrysler and received no response about this being a problem before. I am at my wits end and am contacting a lemon law attorney.

30

I have this problem with my 2011 and near as I can figure, it has something to do with the chip in the key. I also have an aftermarket viper alarm/remote start and when she doesn't want to crank over, I hit the remote start button and she starts right up! Had an ex that had the same thing with her Jeep and they couldn't get it to do it either at the dealership and they recommended a remote start because it has the bypass module for the key chip! Just a suggestion!

70

I'm having the same issue on my 2012 Ram 1500. I had issues last winter and dealer could not reproduce it. Over the summer I had no issues and now we had a cold snap of below freezing the last two days and it's happen both days as Im leaving the office. I have a factory auto start and the issue occurred with it as well. I'm dropping it off after work tomorrow so the dealership can try a cold start Friday morning. In my case it's becoming consistent.

50

I have a 2012 ram 1500. Yesterday it stalled while driving and because of heavy traffic I could not get over to the roadside. I was left in the middle of traffic without hazards or even the ability.to put in neutral. This is the second time this exact thing happened in 4 months. It's dangerous because when it dies while driving, the power steering and breaks go out which makes it hard to control. Ram had better have an answer tomorrow or attorney here I come.

120

I HAVE A 2011 RAM 1500 5.7 HEMI, AND IM HAVING SAME ISSUE WILL NOT START WHEN ITS COLD. DEALER TELLS ME I NEED A NEW BATTERY WENT TO AUTOZONE CHECK MY BATTERY AND IT WAS GOOD TOOK IT TO TWO MORE PLACES, AND IT SHOWS MY BATTERY IS GOOD ALSO STARTER AND ALTERNATOR GOOD. I DONT KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO...???

30

I have the same problem with my 2009 Ram 1500 4.7. I think it is the neutral safety switch,

20

I have the same problem i have 2011 1500 4.7. When im driving it wont act up Yet..... I jave been putting cables to it and it starts up. Once off for 30 minutes or so it wont start no more. Nobody can find answers. Put fuel pump, alternator, and checked battery. Even put a new one on to see if it wad baf. Nothing... what to do??????!!!!!!!!

50

It's not what you think. I have a 2012 Ram Big Horn 4x4 chrome . The starter started to give out . I took it to the dealer , the dealer shut truck off , put it into neutral and it started right up . Now , instead of charging me to test and replace , mechanic opened up the PCM ( fuse box ) and pushed down on every fuse that was knocked out of place ( only works if fuse box is inside the engine compartment on top of wheel well ) . When this was completed , the starter , started right up in park. So next time truck won't start , open hood , open fuse box, and push all breakers and fuses back down , problem solved .

50

The problem is the tipm is not sending power to the fuel pump I had to a by pass connection from the m7 to m25 and after doing the by pass connection I could actually hear the fuel pump turning on and it started right up ,check the fuse number m25 with a indicator to see if is getting power if it doesn't you will need to do a by pass connection it only cost me about $10

50

I'm having similar issues with my 2010 1500 I turn the key and nothing. I have to turn it maybe 10 times then it starts and runs fine until I need to start it again. My battery, alternator were good I replaced the starter but still the same problem. I have will be dropping it off at the dealership on Monday I hope they find the problem.

20

It is the safety switch, take it out of park and put it back in park and it will start.

20

I just bought a 2012 laramie 5.7 hemi from my father. He bought the truck new and has had it maintained extremely well. He had this same issue a handful of times. The dealership installed a new starter a week before I assumed ownership. It has 99,450 miles on it. I have already experienced this exact problem numerous times just 2 to 3 weeks of owning the truck. Any update on what is causing this issue?

20

Same problem here! It could be the way you're starting your vechile. Some idiots like myself just shoved it in and turned it all the way without knowing it was causing damage to it. So from now on I turn the key till it clicks once, wait, than twice etc. Worked good! Thanks it happened again!!! Smh lol

20

Same problem here! It could be the way you're starting your vechile. Some idiots like myself just shoved it in and turned it all the way without knowing it was causing damage to it. So from now on I turn the key till it clicks once, wait, than twice etc. Worked good! Till it happened again!!! Smh lol

45

Same issue but I have found quickly throwing it in drive and hitting the gas will ensure it starts

70

Since my last post I took my truck in and the dealer had it for a week and never got it to misbehave. After that it has not done it since until a week ago. I pushed the fuses in and played with the wires and it didn't work. Finally after a 5-10 minutes turning my Fob it started. It has to be related to the security system as the steering wheel and shifter are locked in place. I had hoped the service recall for the wiring harness in the steer wheel had fixed it.

45

Could it possible be an issue with the wireless control module? I know similar problems have been popping up on older dodges and the problem was related to the wcm.

Is your truck manual?

70

I think Ram has gone all electronic automatic in their 1500s since 2010 unless you special order it or after market manual transmission. Mine is an electronics auto. Within the last month my issue has occurred once a week and now this week it's increased to once if not twice a day. Taking it into the dealership for round 3 to see if they can figured it out. I think it's in the WCM as it does the same with both FOBs I have.

70

Dealership was able to reproduce the issue. They are replacing the Transmission Valve Body

10

Had same issue with my 2012 1500 with 99k... Battery tested good but when cranked dropped to 6V. Replaced battery this morning praying that does it.... I ll keep you posted

Did the electronics turn on at all for you? The battery seems to work, but the engine won't turn over, even though the stereo, lights, etc., all work just fine

70

The electronics worked as if nothing was wrong. Since my Transmission Valve Body replacement my truck has started everytime and no issues. Looking at the part it has sensor so I could see were there are some fail points.

It was the battery for me. dealer battery dead at 52K miles RIP