Mechanic did not replace ignition cable after checking plugs?

Asked by Aug 17, 2015 at 05:21 PM about the 2004 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD

So when I took my car in for a pre-purchase inspection he checked the spark plugs. But,
when looking at how to fix the wiper fluid sprayers, I found a big in the engine with what
looked like maybe a spark plug inside, and a some kind of assembly left sitting on top. It
was the smaller round plug that sat adjacent to the coil. Naturally, I immediately put the
assembly back in into the hole!

I haven't taken the car for a big trip or anything, just ran it to Cosco and back home from
the dealer, maybe 5 miles. It ran just fine (from what I understand, these Hemis have dual
spark plugs). Certainly doesn't inspire much confidence in the mechanic, but this did not
do any damage, right?

Engine is a Chrysler Hemi 5.7 in a 2004 Durango.

44,355

So, did you buy this vehicle yet? Anyway, like I said before, I am not up on Doge, but always glad to help when I can. No I don't believe it did, sounds to me like a pcv that the mechanic moved out of his way while inspecting your motor. Probably non intentional that he did not put it back.

I did actually! Took it out on a 4x4 trail this evening with the family. Even stuck it in a mud pot and engaged 4WD-lo to get it out. This is my first 4x4. Lots of fun!

44,355

Hey that's great! I hope you don't mind if I make you a wear of a couple of things since it is your first 4x4. They are great for traction in the snow, but still act like anything else. If you are going too fast in the snow, they don't like to stop as fast as you can take off with them, also cornering, you still have to slow down before the corner just like any other corner. Also try not to run in 4-wheel drive on pavement, especially going around corners, straight away not so bad (patchy snow and ice) because it is hard on the front axles. I have lived with snow all my life. Enjoy!

Thanks for the tips! I have a friend who does some light 4x4 who will prob show me a few things too. I don't plan on taking it out on any crazy trails or anything, there was one that looked pretty gnarly - made me realize I wasn't 21 anymore, and turned down a friendlier road. I did turn off 4WD and back to AWD once out of the mud, and I'm definitely learning about the increased weight coming down the mountain. Brakes were a bit hot, and the vehicle definitely wanted to run away from me when left in "drive". On the trail I restricted the gear to 1st, but left it in "Drive" on the main road when it should have been restricted to 2nd. Things got a little "exciting". I'll have to get used to using lower gears and watching my speed more carefully for sure. Other than that and my son getting up and jumping around every single time I got out of the car to check the road (little turkey bonked his head, so hopefully he's learned his lesson) things went pretty well.