Will a bad amp cause the radio to not operate?

50

Asked by Jordan May 03, 2018 at 07:24 PM about the 2012 Lexus IS 250 RWD

I have a 2012 Lexus Is250, one day my car radio
just completely stop working. I check all the fuse
and they are fine. I check the wiring and no
damages. I check for power and ground and it is
good. So I thought it was the radio itself. So I order
a new exact radio and still my radio is not turning
on. I took it to a radio shop and he said the amplifier
is bad so the radio see it is not working so it is not
turning on. I did receive a code B15D0 and I look it
up online and one person said the problem is the
amplifier is burnt. Can someone verify this and let
me know if this is the cause. Thank you.

7,065

The only thing I know to tell you is unhook your amp and see if the radio works.

382,295

If the amp does not work you won't get any sound.

170

I have exactly the same problem , I replace nav/radio unit and amplifier still not sound , audio off . Next step will be replace all speaker

150

Did replace all the speaker worked ? I’m havig exactly the same problem .

50

Have anyone figure it out? I might take it to the dealership.

430

My 2015 lexus is250 f sport radio is not working well the sound is not playing. The radio turns on but no sound. What could be the problem?

150

Yes I did after took the car to 5 places included the Lexus dealership . Under the cup hold the wires were short out because my car is a convertible and got wet . . I changed apmplifier , Head unit , navigation. I returned then all , my head unit was not tuned ON . Bluetooth nothing worked . NO SOUND . I found a place in Florida . They fixed it .

60

I’m having the same problem with my 2012 ES 350. Over a month ago they replaced the amplifier. The radio (Bluetooth) worked for a few days and it went out again. Now they said it was the head unit. Replaced it and it only worked for a day until it went out again. I have another appointment with Lexus Saturday. This is very frustrating…

30

I have changed amplifier but still nothing what can I do anybody with some help it be highly appreciated

170

After I did all the above mentioned, taking my car to 6 places , the last place I took they fix it . Under the cup holder the wires were fried due to water spilled . Now works perfect .

40

Anyone know how to fix this issue I replaced the amplifier and still no sound.

350

Sounds like a class action lawsuit to have lexus fix it

90

The sound on my radio works intermittently, took it to Lexus dealership and was told the amp is burnt. If that was the case wouldn’t it not work at all?

60

I have run into the same issue, car stereo turns on but no sound. Took car to an audio shop and they said the amp was dead. I will be trying to get the amp repaired as replacing it costs too much.

20

Our IS250 went to the panel beaters for minor repairs due to a side swipe. On return the aircon not working & the external temperature indicator also not working. Over night the battery drained all power. Took it back to panel beaters who sent it to an auto electrician & then on to Lexus dealer. Lexus said it's a problem with the "amplifier" possibly caused by an electrical short while being repaired. Three weeks later we're still waiting for the part & the car is still at the Lexus dealer. Very frustrating but thanks to Lexus Sutherland we have a replacement vehicle. No one has yet explained how an "amplifier" problem shuts down most of the electrics & drains the battery. PS not fault of Lexus dealer. Our local Lexus people offer superb service. Best of any car I've owned in over 50 years.

130

Having the same issue for over 8 months now. Lexus Dealership told me I needed to replace the car stereo. It was just replaced a year ago and now the same issue. Lexus has been no help and no one seems to know what to do. Any other suggestions would be helpful. Where is the amp actually located and how can we tell if it is fried?? For those with the cup holder issue how did you remove the cup holder?

70

I’m experiencing the same issue. Can someone please give more info regarding cup holder or how the shop I’m FL fixed the issue ?

20

Same issue here I’m about to buy a new amp but read all your remedies and choose to try the dealership one more time. Jo

40

Same issue, just left the Lexus dealer and was told I needed a new amplifier. Very seldom drive the car and I don't turn the volume up loud. There must be a defect with the amplifier. Looking at some of the previous comments will it work after its replaced

140

My 2014 IS 250 Lexus had the same problem with the radio working but no sound. It was a bad amp, I had it repaired at United Radio in NY. Lexus did a real smart thing installing the radio amp in the trunk/wheel well of the car where it can get damp/wet. Lexus should recall all the models that have this type of installation. That's one reason why the amp would continue to break! (dampness/wet)

40

i am having a problem with my 2007 lexus IS250 with navigation, the radio wont work, so the entire buttons and climate control doesn't work too, i thought it was the fuse, i found all radio fuse burnt, so i replaced but the rad 2 fuse burns out immediately i put it, i have burnt over 7 fuses already, i took to a technician who said the amplifier is bad as it sends back current to burn the fuse, so i hoping this works, will have the amplifier changed tomorrow.

50

what's the wire or connector that is mentioned under the cup holder that is mentioned in this conversation ? I'm having the same problem on my 2009 Lexus IS250

60

I had the same issue on my IS250 2012. Radio turned on but no sound. I tested all cables to confirm continuity and tested fuses as well to make sure none of them were burnt. Once I knew it was not a cabling issue I replaced the amp with a used lexus amp. Don't install an after market amp as its much more complicated to get it to work properly with the lexus radio head unit. Just buy a like for like model that is used but tested as working.

30

Just got a 2010 RX 450H with 65,000 miles Had the issue with Radio being on but no sound. For me, this appears to be a way to get it to work. If you shut off the car with the radio on, when you start back up the radio will have no sound. Shut the vehicle down again. This time, when pressing power button, do not press on brake pedal so only radio is turning on. This seems to get the sound to work. Then turn off the radio and start the vehicle up as normal (with brake pedal pushed) and radio sound is good. It appears if you remember to turn off the power to audio/radio before shutting down car and then turn it on after car has started it comes on with sound. Not sure if this is a symptom of another issue, but for now it seems to work.

60

I have 2014 Lexus IS 250 and my issue is the radio won’t turn on at all, the screen itself is all blacked out. Sometimes when you turn on the vehicle the Lexus intro starts and then half way through it shuts off. Sometimes it stays on, once it passes the into screen and it fully loads the main screen there is no issues whatsoever. It’s only when I turn the car off and on again that most times it does not come on at all. And randomly as you drive it turns on plays music for like 5seconds and shuts off again. Also I noticed at night time the screen sort of flashes like a white light, most likely the backlight. I have an aftermarket amp and subs professionally installed. I took it to Lexus and their excuse not to mess with it was that my system was installed. I disconnected RCAs from amp also disconnected power including ground to amp and does the same thing. So I highly doubt it was caused by my aftermarket subs and amp. I’m literally trying the hard reset by disconnecting the battery for an hour or so and see if that helps. I first thought it was an issue with the software but Lexus says it’s up to date. Also the rear camera works when you put on reverse even when stereo is non functional! This is so annoying SMH ‍♂️

20

The problem with the amps, at least in the IS, is they are installed in the trunk and there is a vent right next to it. Moisture gets in and they get fried over time. Bad design flaw in an otherwise awesome vehicle.

20

My radio had no sound. Would turn on and make a popping sound when turned on...just two pops each time I turned it on. Replaced the amp and that fixed the problem. The best price I found on a used amp was $220.

10

I just started having this stupid problem two months ago with my 2010 Lexus IS250 I took it to three different people the first one said that I needed the amplifier but that he needs to be the original amplifier and the last two told me that I had to change everything from amplifier to the radio because all the wires are connected together, all I know is that I’m done with Lexus! I Haven’t been satisfied at all , I’m not gonna get this type of car anymore ! To complicated to fix! Everything about the Lexus is just too expensive to fix! Lexus should pay for all this mess because it seems to me that we are all having the same problem with the amplifiers and the sound in general!! I mean Lexus is an expensive brand if the car is going to be expensive at least make it work for crying out loud

20

my Lexus IS 2014 screen continue on and off sometimes stays blackout did anyone found a solution for it?

5

Replaced my battery without a data saver and now my multimedia screen on my 2014 lexus is 350 with marklevinson navigation is randomly blacking out and rebooting. Everything works fine alot of the time. But every drive i take im gambling to see if i will have a blacked out screen with no audio, constant rebooting or if its going to work fine. Ive tried disconnecting the battery for long periods of time and reconnecting. No change. I cant even find any coorelation to when it happens. Im updated to the most curren software The only thing i can find is in diagnostic mode i get a code b1575. Googled it and found "GVIF disconnected (from EMV/MM integrated device to multimedia display)". I cant rely on my infotainment for anything such as navigation, music and phone calls now. Anybody have any ideas of whats going on?

I'm having the same issue with my Radio/Nav. Turns On and OFF and can see it trying to reboot in the background. It has been so annoying. Lexus should know what fixes this since so many have the same issue. I seriously go months with no radio at times. I can't take it.