Driver's side sliding door stuck shut

200

Asked by Andrew Apr 22, 2018 at 04:54 PM about the 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Crew FWD

Please pardon me if I give too much information... I'd rather not leave out
something important.  The question gives the basic problem, so here's more
detail.  I don't know what caused this to happen, but the door is stuck.  It
responds to nothing.  Pressing the dome panel button does nothing.  Trying
to lock/unlock with the driver's lock button or the remote does nothing.  The
door lock switch moves, but has a "mushy" feel and never seems to engage
or disengage.  I've tried pushing the door open (out and back) with as much
force as it seems I can without breaking something.  Nothing.  My theory
(possibly wrong...) is that the door is effectively locked shut and the lock
mechanism has failed, but I don't know for sure

Is there some other cause I should be looking at?  If it is a stuck lock, is there
some other way of disengaging it?  I'd prefer not to have to disassemble the
door from the inside, but if that's the only way, that's that.

650

Hi, sorry don't have an answer for you (trying to find it), but I have the exact same problem that just happened on my 2016 Grand Caravan (only 40K miles). Both sliding doors were working fine, then one day the driver's sliding door just froze--can't open it electronically or manually. The lock is stuck in the locked position and the power door lock switch won't move that door's lock to the 'unlock' position. When you try to move the lock/unlock button/lever on that sliding door, it's stuck in the locked position--even with a bunch of force I can't move the lever to the unlocked position--I feel like I'm going to break the lever if I force it too much. So the door is basically unuseable right now... Looking for help too!

200

I guess I should be glad it's not just me. :-) I'll post anything I find out.

220

No answer, but the same just happened with our 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan. Check fuses, disconnected battery, checked gas flap, nothing I can do to unlock and open the driver side sliding door. The door lock is stuck in the locked position and I am unable to move it to the unlocked position, The lock feels spongy as if something were stuck.

330

We have a 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan. We bought it about a month ago and the left side sliding door just stopped working! It seems to be stuck in the lock position and we can’t do anything about it! Any one find an answer yet?

110

Same. Exact. Problem. 2013 Ram C/V (Same as Caravan).

220

I did find a video online showing how to replace the actuator. I am a DYI kinda guy but it looked to be a mess to fix. Check it out and let me know if anyone is successful https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HVod3qLx5F4

230

We have a fleet of these vehicles (2015 tradesman) and t happens. It’s not pleasant to deal with. Remove interior door panel and manually unlock door latch assembly. There can be various reasons to get jammed. The most common is the door latch/locking mechanism assembly.

100

So my problem seems to be the exact reverse of everyone here. Mine is a 2009 and all doors lock with the fob and the driver lock button except left rear door.

330

My 2016 dodge mini vans driver side sliding door will not open, as well. 37000 miles! Recall???

160

My 2016 same problem 40000K miles.

110

2012 Grand caravan. Noticed passenger sliding door not locking automatically. Key fob nor auto door locks will lock or unlock that door. I can manually lock and unlock it. When locked it prevents any auto movements. When I manually unlock it the door will open and close automatically a few times then it will cease to work again. I've tried lithium grease on all moving parts. Nothing. What I did notice was the cable that runs along the lower door track and just above/inboard on the wire bundle has less tension than the driver's side slide. I believe this cable runs to a switch telling the system open or closed. Trying to see if I can increase tension. Also, if you hear continuous clicking as if the door is trying to open or close check for blockages or a ground/short/broken wire.

90

My 2013 with 106k I noticed is opposite. The passenger rear door will not lock with the fob, the driver button nor manually. So basically my van is always unlocked. Hoping to find a fix on here.

110

I pulled both door panels off and tried swapping the control module in the center bottom of the door. Problem still persisted suggesting that's not what's causing or contributing. I will need to recheck my wires and connections.

1,790

2016 Grand Caravan G/T - Driver side sliding door lock is stuck. Happened 1 week ago. Just got and estimate at the dealership today; $1100 to fix. They said whole locking mechanism needs to be replaced. I think this is a safety issue.I vote for a recall.

410

How do we get dodge to do a recall

1,790

I filed a complaint with the NHTSA. There was only one other complaint for this failure previously submitted. And - one correction - my van is an R/T, not GT

490

2016 Grand Caravan 50K miles - got same problem - I vote for Recall too!!!!

410

So i was messing with my door on my 2016 dodge van trying to unlock it and get it opened i tooked the part off by the lock and if u hold the lock in the unlock position and pull the handle the door will open i put the cover back on the door with the look in the unlock postion and i am able to open and close my door with the remote until im able to get it fix apparently my actuator has a short or broken but the other motor on the bottom with the chains and everything is good..

1,790

UPDATE!! Problem resolved! - Once again: 2016 Grand Caravan R/T, 60K miles - A resourceful relative removed the door panel and necessary connections (NOTE: He took a picture before for putting it back together.) He was able to reach the latch through the access hole at the back of the door and release the latch. He found corrosion on the latch was making it stick.He rubbed off the corrosion and applied white lithium grease to the surfaces. After reassembly the door functions properly; manual, electric buttons, and remote. No new parts, and cost me a fraction of the $1100 that the dealer quoted. Paid my family member for 3 hours of his time and expertise.

360

I came here looking for answers and after meeeing with it for about 10 minutes I got mine unlocked. I made sure and hit unlock on the key fob a few times. Then I sat in the backseat and held the manual lock in the unlock position and then pulled the door handle from the inside. It now works again. Good luck

420

Oh Dodge absolutely knows about this mess!! It’s a common issue and it is definitely a safety issue because once the locking mechanisms fail, you cannot manually unlock the door - effectively trapping anyone in the rear inside the vehicle in case of emergency! Somebody is going to have to die before Dodge fesses up to this faulty manufacturing defect! They won’t issue a recall because it’s 3 hours of labour and $600 bucks in parts to fix the issue - this is the faulty airbag scam all over again.....how many people had to die before the company’s took action! Mine have been completely faulty since 64,000 km......1.5 years old and just outside of the 60k mfr warranty. If they don’t recall this problem soon, i’ll Never ever purchase Nother dodge again.....and i’ll Tell everyone about the issue that will listen! Absolutely disgusting that they put profits before life at this company!

40

I hav the same issue with our 2015 72k+ miles. The driver side sliding door does not open , does not lock or unlock. Husband took it to the leader and they quoted him 1k, which is absurd. I’m hoping it can be an easy fix!

460

My driver side slider just encountered the same thing. This is a HUGE safety issue for passengers in the back. I have been on many sites, with the same complaints, yet no recall by Dodge. I have contacted them, with no reply. When do we initiate a class acting suit against Dodge?

460

write a complaint to https://www.nhtsa.gov/about-nhtsa/contact-us we are trying to force a recall

70

My 2011 company caravan has the same problem, both sliding doors stacked. I tried very hard to open them, but failed. Then the inside lights won’t go off because the sliding doors in open mode. Before I sent it to dealer to fix this, I want to have a last try. ** I wear a pair of soft running shoes, and kicked back parts of the doors, then 2 doors back to the close mode. Inside lights showing off. Magic happens: both doors open normally now. 2 minute job

70

I have a 2015 Dodge Grand Carvan and my driver side sliding door is stuck in lock mode. I'm not understanding what happen I have 52899miles on it. Any suggestions

50

Not an answer but I have the same problem with my 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan I think this is an ongoing problem and Dodge has done nothing to fix it. My driver side slider door does not open with nothing is stuck in the locked position and also believe the actuator is the problem. Will change mine and will let you know how it goes. A1 Auto has a good video on how to replace.

50

My 2017 70000km passenger side sliding door has the same problem, will lock and unlock manually, but not with the remote it the buttons placed on the front doors. Dreading to take it to dodge. Will try the solutions here first. Worste come, I will sell the damn piece of junk...

200

I have a 2016 Caravan 70k miles and I'm having same issue. driver side sliding door is stuck. It does nothing. its permanently in the locked position. I took it to the dealership and they quoted $1500 to repair it. I said screwed that, and I called dodge because that ridiculous. Not only is it piss poor that the door failed to work but now its a serious safety issue because what if there is an accident and I need to get my kids out of it and the door is stuck?? They need to fix it especially since it appears im not the only one with this problem

200

https://www.nhtsa.gov/about-nhtsa/contact-us. if you have this issue, call the hotline and file a claim

40

I have a 2012 caravan, passenger side sliding door will not lock and driver side sliding door stuck in locked position. I sent a complaint via NHTSA. I am now on the hunt to see how to resolve with lowest cost possible.

120

2016 Dodge caravan right sliding door started buzzing last night when i unlock it. I think im bout to have this issue.......... Dodge needs to recall or someone who knows a good lawyer, get a case going and bring us in.

50

Same thing happening to my 2017 caravan except you also can not manually unlock/lock the passenger sliding door. Absolutely ridiculous that there’s no recall yet.

90

I had the same problem with my drives side door in a permanent locked position. You are not able to even manually open the door. Please every this same problem file a complaint with DODGE and the NHTSA. That is the only way we may be able to get a recall here.

60

We just encountered the exact same problem. Drivers side sliding door is stuck in the lock position and is extremely frustrating! We have 2 young kids in the family and the loss of a door working is a huge problem for us.

40

Mine 2016 caravan door faulted out around 40k and still have not looked into the cause Dealer replaced a transmisson at 35k and slipping again at 70k 1st time dodge buyer but never again

70

Everyone must file a complaint with the NHTSA. That is the only way we may be able to get a recall here. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/ That is the link. It takes about 2 minutes to fill out!

20

I have the same problem with my 2016 Caravan with 45000 km. Door was not used 50 times. thankfully I do not use it for children etc.. Very poor quality for Dodge. |\\\c

10

No answer sorry but I have the same problem with my 2012 Dodge Caravan. I did email nhtsa.webmaster@dot.gov and complain but I have not got a reply yet

20

2016 Dodge Grand Caravan 70,000 miles on mine. And our driver door just quit working the other day too. Seems like everyone is having the same problem. Very aggravating.

80

2016 Dodge Caravan 70,000 miles. About 2 months ago, the locking actuator started to go out on our passenger side sliding door. It started making the tell-tale buzzing sound, but never actually locked up before I took it to the dealership to be replaced... to the tune of over $1,100. The mechanic at the dealership even admitted that it was a well-known issue with the Caravans around the 2015-2018 models! Here we are less than 2 months later, and now our driver’s side sliding door is stuck in the locked position, and won’t open at all. This time, it never even made the buzzing sound... just locked up and stopped working. We have 4 kids, and this is a serious safety hazard! My husband did try what another user (GuruXSGH8) suggested above, and it worked... for now. I am calling the NHTSA first thing after the holiday weekend, and filing a complaint. No way am I shelling out another $1,100+ to the dealership, twice in less than 2 months, for something that should most certainly be a recall!

20

We have the same problem on our 2016 Doge Caravan, 60,000 miles. Last Friday the drivers side sliding door locked, we can't unlock.

And now here i am searching for the same answers as you all. This sucks

160

Hi everyone, mine is a 2016 Grand Caravan, 48,270. Same problem, driver side sliding door, won't open with the beeper / inside or outside handle / inside button (next to the door) or console button. Thanks God after read I don't how many reviews I decide to do something similar. I PUSH REAL HARD trying to UNLOCK the door from inside (towards the driver seat) and then hit the door button on the beeper few times (the button for the DRIVER sliding door). The door opens and close normal after I did this. However it is a safety issue that DODGE have to deal with and make a recall. I hope this less than a minute procedure can help all the people that wrote before me. Please try it before go to the dealership and spend 1,100.00, I hope you have luck like me.....

20

Hi Everyone, Mine is 2012 Dodge Caravan with 156,000 and my drivers side sliding door wont open at all. This just started on Sunday, June 2. I would not care so much if I can manually open it but I cant even do that. It stinks I use that door all the time. I believe if this many people are having the same issue, there should be a recall.

20

2016 Dodge caravan here. Same thing happened to me today 65k drivers side sliding door won’t unlock!!

40

Same thing here just now. Complaint sent!

110

Had the same issue. The way I solved is while holding the lock switch on the door on the open position I pressed on the unlock on the fob. Looks like it's working now. Hope this helps

20

Same issue unable to unlock except ours rattles like it's attempting to lock over and over at lightning speed. We had it fixed under warranty (2016 model) and it's only a couple months later we have the issue again. Going to have them fix under warranty again which is up soon and sell it. This piece of crap was falling apart off the lot with only a few km's on it.

20

I just filed a complaint too! 2016 Not So Grand Caravan. 46k. I haven't had any luck yet getting the door to open, so I could inspect the wiring harnesses. Replacing the actuator is ridiculous. I'm really hoping for a shredded wire or something.

20

2016 as well. Already filed my complaint. Happened around 55k miles. I’ve been driving with one door like this for months. I’ll never buy another Dodge with doors like this. We’ve bought/leased 6 Dodges and Jeeps in the last 13 years. We’ll be finding a new brand If they don’t recall this. I understand normal wear and tear, but this is a joke.

10

Just filed my complaint, was exactly as previous complaints and charged labor for diagnosing. First I was told it was covered, then I was told it was not covered and then I was told the amt. it would take to correct the problem. Seems widespread to activate a recall. You cannot open the door in the event of an accident, that IS the problem.

40

My girlfriends 2016 Dodge Gd. Caravan driver side slide door is stuck too! Should not be happening on a vehicle fairly new. Any door NOT opening on a vehicle is a big problem. With two young children in middle row, this is a huge safety issue and definitely a lawsuit in the horizon!

110

Just replaced the lock actuator on the passenger side sliding door of my 2016 Dodge Caravan. It was buzzing, and found out using the web that it had to be replaced. Door was giving locking/unlocking issues too, like the ones described above. Checked out the Youtube video, Joe, the "Fake Mechanic", and followed his method. A lot of work, but door works flawlessly with a replacement actuator bought from Rock Auto for $17 + shipping. I took the original actuator apart to discover the internal plastic worm gear had worn a groove in it. Not a very robust design, and it's a piece of junk, made in China no less. That's the problem.

20

I have the same problem with my 2017 Grand caravan. First the passenger sliding door won't lock except manually. That happened around 60k miles. Then the driver's sliding door wouldn't unlock or open. I filed a claim with nhtsa. I then got it open by following a suggestion on here. I manually pushed the button toward unlock and hit the unlock button on my key fob at the same time. It finally unlocked and I was able to open the door.

20

Same problem, 2016 Chrysler T+C, driver side sliding door won't unlock. Oddly enough, I had a 2009 Dodge Journey, same door wouldn't lock.

10

Last tuesday my passengers sliding door made a noise when I unlocked the door. Brought it to the dealer. Paid $1100 to have it repaired. Thursday morning I went to open the drivers sliding door. Nothing. It’s stuck in the locked position. So here I am back at the dealer getting that one replaced. Not very happy right now with Dodge.

50

My 2017 Grand Caravan with 77,000 plus miles on it also had the driver sliding passenger door lock stopped working and was stuck in the locked position. I read every single complaint here and saw the reply about holding the door lock inside in the open position while you hit the unlock on the key fob, and it worked to unlock the door. But when I locked the doors again it was the same thing. I hope I don't have to do the double lock action if an emergency comes up...

I have a 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan and I have the same issue, the sliding door behind the driver’s seat is locked shut; it doesn’t unlock with the key or manually. I’m taking it in tomorrow since I need the oil changed and it should be still under warranty; hopefully they can fix it/unlock it without charging me a kidney.

50

For some reason after unlocking my sliding door manually with the assistance of the key FOB my sliding door now works with just the FOB, though I do hear a electrical winding noise when the door locks.

50

Is. So easy to fix it

Same issue here, 2016 dodge GC 70k+ miles. I had my infant in her car seat and could not get her out. Had to unload the toddler and the groceries, before I could crawl in and unbuckle her in 100 degree weather. Definitely an unsafe situation... can’t believe how many have the same story and still no recall.

10

Same problem here driver side sliding door stuck... This is the worst!

30

Same issue here, 2016 Dodge GC 50K miles. One random day the door stopped operating and the latch wont turn even manually. My other door makes a noise when I use the FOB key to unlock/lock the door, I am afraid the same issue might happen to the passenger rear door as well. I was told it's not covered under the warranty, this is absolutely bizarre. I have filied an complain with NHTSA, here is the quick link to start your own complain: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/ . Merely complaining here won't help, we also need to take it a step further and file as many complains as possible for this serious safety issue. There must be a recall!

10

My mechanic couldn't get my side door open on my 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan. It was locked shut also. After reading some of the comments here I decided to push hard on the inside lock lever to unlock it and at the same time push my remote control lock unlock. This started it working correctly. I've tried it several times and it works great. At least it will open the door now if something needs to be replaced by the mechanic.

10

I currently have most of the panel of my 2017 caravan passenger sliding door off and can’t get it open. I’m going to try the method described above but it seems as if this a big problem. Ironically enough i am a mechanic and my wife works for our local Dodge dealership. If I find any more info I will share with you all

I have a 2016 & my sliding passenger side door made a buzz noise & now won’t unlock or open. I’ve tried the fob trick & nothing. I agree this is a huge safety issue. It should work manually! Guess this is my last Dodge. I’ll watch this thread in case someone finds another fix. I’m also submitting my complaint tonight. This should be a recall, it’s a safety problem.

10

2016 town and country at 40k miles the passenger sliding door on the drivers side has become unresponsive for no apparent reason. 8/5/19 Since caravans and town and country are pretty much the same van Dodge/Chrysler I think this must be the same issue.

20

It's working now. 2012 Grand Caravan passenger sliding door locked and will not open. I tried what has been suggested, pressing unlock on fob while forcing the manual lock switch but no luck so I took off the door liner following a Youtube video and tried again. Now I have access to the linkage system and can exert more force avoiding the linkage from bending. Again, pressing the unlock on fob and forcing the linkage it finally engages. Unfortunately the issue comes back as soon as it is relocked. I get the feeling like linkage is binding up in the actuator area which is hidden completely within the door. I sprayed some lube (wd40 chain lube) into the linkage opening hoping to get the right spot then worked linkage back and forth untill I could feel it loosen up. Now the lock mechanism works without problem.

10

MY 2018 Dodge Grand Caravan doors are working but every time I press the unlock button or anyone opens a door a short buzzing noise comes from the right rear passenger door...it's like an alarm or something....any ideas?

50

It's the lock solenoid going bad

110

The buzzing is from the lock actuator. This is an electro-mechanical device that has a small motor in it, and when energized, it moves a small plastic toggle arm attached to a long steel link. The other end of the link is attached to the locking mechanism in the inside door latch. The problem is the internal workings of the actuator, a brass pinion gear driving a plastic worm gear. The brass gear wears down the plastic worm gear, and makes that buzzing noise as it spins and can no longer fully engage. A very cheap and bad design.Unfortunately if you can't replace this yourself (Joe the Fake Mechanic's YouTube), you are looking at a $800 -$1100 repair bill from a dealer if out of warranty. If you do get it fixed, demand the old actuator, take it apart & show them what a piece of junk this is. Maybe get a break on the repair bill. BTW, this took me about 5 hrs of labour to DIY, never done this before, so ask the dealer as to how many hours of labour they are going to charge. New actuator cost me $17 USD.

20

Called my local Chrysler Jeep dealer, who said they typically get a windshield glass repair company to do this actuator replacement job because the teardown involves door glass (I asked if the glass guy had done this repair before and they said yes, many times). Dealer said the labor charge would about $150 Canadian. The part alone with tax is about C$1000 from the dealer. I bought a $50 version of the actuator at RockAuto and they agreed to install it for C$170 all in. In the end the dealer's mechanic decided to do it because the glass guy they normally used for this job was closed on the day I arrived. The mechanic looked up the Chrysler tech repair video and did the job in about 2.5 hours. It involved removing the entire door from the vehicle(!). Sounds like he did it the hard way. Anyway 2 weeks later it still works fine (though I don't expect a 3rd party part to last all that long). So I suggest anyone facing a ridiculous estimate look up a competent company handling door glass repair to see if they have experience in this repair.

10

We are having the same issue with our 2015 Dodge Caravan. We’ve got two girls in the car seats and cannot get one out through that door. We have to crawl in to buckle and unbuckle her. Thanks for the tips. We will give it a try.

10

2014 dodge grand caravan R/T, started with buzzing noise. holding the lock in the unlock position worked for me. you will know if you did it right when you hear a click. i think this happens when someone holds it in the unlock position and you try locking the door with key fob. i'm willing to bet that the reverse of that is also true (lock position, unlock with key fob). if this doesnt work then there might be some other issue with it.

I just had the same problem with my 2014 Dodge caravan. The driver side door will not open with key, button, or manually. The locking button is stuck and will not move either forward or backward. I am going to try some of the solutions from this post. I also, filed a complaint on the website provided.

If you haven't figured it out ....I have a 2013 Chrysler Town and country touring L and the passenger sliding door is stuck closed and is locked ...will not unlock .....it's the actuator for the locking mechanism.....to unlock my door they wanna charge me $650 in parts and labor...ugh

20

Same problem with the driver's side sliding door on my 2011 Dodge Caravan Crew. I finally tried something someone else suggested by pushing the unlock button REAL hard on the inside of the sliding door while pushing the open sliding door button on the key fob and the door works normally now. I'm still worried about it getting stuck again. Total safety issue!!

I have a 2016 Grand Caravan with the same problem...The driver side slider is stuck in the locked position...It worked fine earlier today but now nothing I do will unlock it...I agree with others that Dodge should issue a recall

10

I had this problem 2 weeks after the passenger side slider went bad. It got me thinking. The passenger side had a stripped gear in the actuator. Something had to bind it to cause it to strip. Then my driver side door got stuck locked. I'm thinking that the lock mechanism at the back of the door is getting dirty or corroded and causing the extra friction causing these issues. I would suggest oiling the mechanism every few months with some white lithium grease to prevent a reoccurance.

10

I have a somewhat different problem with the sliding door, driver's side. I can open and close it from the overhead switch but not from the one on the door column or the remote. I can open it manually and pull it shut. There is no problem with the lock.Perhaps the lock problem will some later. Any ideas?

I have the same problem with my 2016 GC. Both sliding doors are giving trouble locking and unlocking!

40

Just got the call from the dealer that it will be $1600 to fix the door. How is this not a recall???!!! Total safety hazard. If the passenger side of the vehicle were hit how would I quickly get the kids out of the car?

10

I have a 2016 grand caravan that the drivers side door will not budge, problem is lock actuator motor, $400 part from dodge, $80 from dorman. I did figure a way to open, if you stand outside drivers door and force lock slide toward front end it feels like it will break but gives instead and you can pull outside handle at same time and it will manually open. It’s a lot easier to repair now, still a 4 hour job.

I've owned 6 of these dodge vans. I've replaced 3 sliding door lock actuators. The dealer wants $550 for the part, but you can buy it online for under $20. It's a pain to change and takes me about half a day Saturday.

10

Had the same issue. Was already getting angry and about trying to remove the side cover, and tried everything. Then I a last try and really angry as GuruS8DCY wrote: Push manual lock on ‚open position‘ and with the remote open/close. And look there, it works again. Just push the open manual lock with some good force.

2016 Dodge Caravan - same issue with drivers side pax door. Just tried the trick described above - push HARD on the door lock switch on inside of door and use fob to open it. Worked like a charm! Will still file a complaint - needs a recall.

Desha, Burlington, NC I have a 2015 dodge grand caravan with right at 60,000 miles and I have the same problem that happened a few weeks ago. I had opened it earlier that day when my daughters friend got in the van and later on went to open it to let her out and it wouldn't open and hasn;t worked since. I will try that trick and see what response I get from it.

10

I'm amazed at these stories of cars only about 3 years old having this problem! I started having the same problem with my 2008 Town and Country, with about 150K miles, about a year ago (in late 2018). The driver side sliding door is stuck in the closed and locked position. Neither the key fob, nor the interior buttons, nor the manual controls will unlock or open it. In fact, trying the fob or buttons doesn't even produce a "click" sound; like it's not even trying, or there is a broken circuit. Yes, I checked the fuses. I will be filing a complaint with the NHTSA.

10

Having the same issue and filed a complaint with NHTSA. First started with the passenger side back sliding door making a buzzing noise when unlocking it but door never jammed, has been like this for about a year now. Then a couple days ago my driver's side back sliding door is jammed shut and in lock position. Can't even open it manually its completely jammed shut. Have tried what others have said by unlocking it from the inside while pushing the unlock on my key but nothing. This is so unsafe especially for my children.

My 2017 Dodge Caravan's passenger sliding door is stuck in the lock position, just like the complaints about the driver's sliding door. It costs $650 -$1000 to fix!!! Why haven't anyone put in a complaint to the National Highway and Traffic Safety Association (www.nhtsa.gov)? This is a safety hazard for anyone sitting in the back. It SHOULD be a recall!!!!

10

@bevvy , I and others have filed complaints with the NHTSA. So far, all I've gotten is an acknowledgement of my complaint.

10

I, too, have filed and received the same run around. What else can be done because I am willing to do it.

10

Take panel off the door. Pull the rod that is connected to the door lock toward the rear of the van. That will release it and the door will work fine.

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SE. 199K miles. Yesterday morning I opened the driver side sliding passenger door to put a bag in. Shut it normally. Drove less than 5 mins home and went to open the sliding door and it wouldn’t open. It stayed stuck. My kids car seat is on that side so I had to put kid in from the other side, which is a huge pain!! Ironically the NIGHT before this happened, my hubby was asking me if I would like to trade it in for something newer. I guess the van is giving us more reasons to let it go. I have 3 little kids and use this van for carpool rides too. Not really a good time to be dealing with this right now.

Same problem, 2013 rear drivers side door won't unlock or open. We did not ever hear any buzzing or unusual sounds, and no problems at all until today.

10

So I have tried all of these ideas on opening my door on the driver's side and the one when you hold the unlock button on your key and then push the actual lock forward all while the main button is in manual lock, actually did work for a couple days. Then it jammed again and wouldn't open anymore. Now I found if you hold the actual lock forward and try opening it from the outside manually (at the same time) it will open....but I have to do this Everytime I unlock that side door. Ugh!