I just got a 2012 Dodge Avenger and the passenger side blows freezing cold air and the drivers side blows hot, is there a dual control I don't know about or is something wrong with it??

Asked by Nov 24, 2013 at 08:07 PM about the 2012 Dodge Avenger SXT

seems strange to me, but searches to help your car have all come up with a "blower heater resistor"...which kinda makes sense...I guess...does your fan blow on all speeds both vents...can you switch it from one vent to defrost or feet only? http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1502169,parttype,6557,a,www .google.com%2BSearch%2Bfor%2BDODGE

...really it's gotta be the heater control panel...if it's misbehavin'~ https://www.google.com/#q=2012+Dodge+Avenger+heater+control+panel&t bm=shop&spd=2273277373442508520

80

I had the exact same problem with my 2012 SXT Plus and the lot fixed it...... the spring on the actuator door was sticking and not opening properly

140

I have a 2012 Avenger; the heat on the passenger side of the car stopped blowing hot air. I took the Avenger in for a diagnostic test and was told that the issue was from casing sand clogging the radiator, heater core and the oil cooler. THIS IS A MANUFACTURES DEFECT. A flush of the radiator and heater core will NOT fix this issue. I contacted Chrysler Dodge (1-800-334-9200) customer service and reported the issue. I made it very clear that this issue was due to a defect and no lack of care on my end as the consumer. After three weeks of phone games with several case managers they agreed to cover $1000.00 of the $1237.00 bill. Though I don't agree that I should have paid anything out of my pocket I didn't want to back myself in a corner. I am very great-full for what Dodge offered; but disappointed that they wouldn't cover the cost in its entirety. The more Avenger owners that report this issue the quicker it will become a recall. I hope this helps anyone who is having the same issue. Cheers

10

How did you get them to pay for it or at least part of it, I talked to a rep and they said since there was no recall it is not a problem with Chrysler.

10

Heater core problems with the Avenger are well known....I have a 2011 SXT, waiting to be picked up at the radiator shop after a core replacement. Also waiting for me is an $1100 C bill.

30

I have a 2012 Avenger R/T that started doing the same thing. Took it to the dealer because I also paid $2,300 for an extended warranty and figured one way or another it was going to get fixed. The dealer figured out that it was in fact bad casting that caused loose metal flakes to eventually break off and fill up the radiator and heater core. Unfortunately the Contract company refused to pay anything because they know it is a manufacturer defect. Chrysler is refusing to pay anything because the car has 63,000 miles on it, even though THEY acknowledge it is a manufacturer defect as well. I'm not done hounding them, but I also don't see it going anywhere. Probably my last Chysler product.

60

I replaced the heater core/thermostat ($850) and the heat worked for about a week then started blowing cold air again. I took it back and they replaced the heater control panel. ($275). the passenger side still blows air about 50-60 degrees colder than the driver side. Please help!!!

50

Please fill out a complaint with http://www.safercar.gov/ or contact (888) 327-4236 and they will help you file a complaint to the manufacturer.

90

This is not a heater core issue. It is a blend door motor issue! The fact that you have hot air on one side means the air IS being heated by the coolant in the core. The utter nonsense dealers tell you to jack up the bill is why you stay away from them. The part costs about $30 and is fairly easy to install.

30

What is the part called my car is doing this now it's a 2013

I've replaced the blend door in mine 3 times. Because it starts ticking. Does blow.cold on the passenger side unless I put it on recycle air in car? Even then if I feel it blowing cold I can turn the thermostat to cold then warm and it gets hot.

20

I have a 2011 dodge avenger.no heat on passengers side.ii replace an actuator.heat for 1 day.flash out.work for 2 days change thermostat.aweek.now I'm back to cold air.took it to dodge they.hookup it an they said it was the heating core.

10

I don't know why people are saying it isn't the heater core. I replaced the actuator on my wifes car. That didn't help. I replaced several, that didn't work. I flushed the car 3 times. Very, very good. I know I did everything myself. After a while I noticed it helped a little, but not much. After a while it did the same thing and so I told my wife to have the heater core replaced since I read a lot into the casting and sand. Yes metal flakes and sand come out. Lots and lots of it comes out when flushing. It is the way the heater core sits that causes the buildup on one part. After we paid about $1000 for replacement it worked for a little less than a year. It's now Winter again and the car is a 2000 Dodge avenger with just barely over 100,000 miles. I am not paying for this year after year. I hate dodges and have owned 2 and always had heater core issues. I now only buy Hondas. I have a 2007 Ridgeline and have never had issues other then changing the oil and it's at 157,000 miles. We plan to sell the avenger and get another Honda.

I have a 2011 avenger. replaced heater core and radiator. This did nothing. I cut the heater core open and there was very little sediment anywhere. I cut the horizontal channels open no blockage. This has to be a door issue just not sure??

Welp I'm sure confussed????Today was pretty chilly in my car... I'm outside sales and it's snowing, going to be cold again tomorrow.. cold on passenger side and warm on drivers side...

10

Mine started doing the same thing as others in here. If it was the heating core it would just blow cold air through all vent including the drivers side. I'm not about to pay $1k for that if its a known problem with this car. Manufacturers should have put a defect notice on this since they put it with every other problem (most of them don't even matter) with that kind of money I could put a down payment on something else that'll last.

My Avenger 2012 started doing the same. Hot air on Driver side and cold air on the passenger side. Will be heading to the dealer to get the quote. On the forums I read some one got covered by Dodge, I will try the same after getting quote from the dealer. Fingers crossed!

10

My 2013 Avenger is doing the same thing. Hot air on driver's side, cold air on passenger side. Does anyone have sound solid advice on where, who I should take my car to get it fixed? I'm a female and I swear they see me coming, I don't like auto mechanics.

10

Has anyone has issues with an actuator clicking behind the glove box prior to the heat going out on the passenger side? I was going to check mine as I’ve had the clicking for about a year or so now. Someone mentioned the actuator as well. Ok really hoping it’s a $30 part fix...

40

Guys, I spoke with Chrysler group about my Dodge Avenger 2012 heat issue. The support agent told be that if more people complain about this issue at https://www- odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/ , the this can become a recall. I am launching a complaint today. Hope all the other guys who had this problem will do the same. If this becomes a re-call, people who spent money will be issued a refund.

I just filed a complaint today. I have a 2012 Dodge Avenger. I paid to have my Heater Core flushed then replaced. I paid over $1100 plus $129 for a diagnostic fee. My extended warranty didn't pay for it. What a waste.

40

@NomoreDodgecars, I feel the same. This may be my last Dodge vehicle ever. I hope there will be enough complaints that trigger a recall and get us some refund. Keep your bills safe. Good Luck !

10

@redneckcountrygirl Yes! My passenger side has been clicking for as long as I have had the cold air issue! I have a 2013 Dodge avenger SXT. I’m hoping it’s just the actuator.

5

My 2012 is also having this heating issue. Warm on the drivers side, cold on the passenger side. Its tough when only half of my windshield will defrost :-/ I will file a complaint.

Dodge 2012 Avenger here. Coming up on about 95k miles, I believe. Just started the "cold air on the passenger side" nonsense. I'll file a complaint today also and hope that they step up...

2012 Dodge Avenger blows warm air on driver's side and cold air on passenger side. I called the help line number 1-800 334-9200. but they hung up on me. I guess Dodge vehicles are just a bunch of (goats).

I have a 2013 Dodge Avenger and it has 134000 miles on it. The passenger side is doing the clicking when I turn on the foot heater and the defroster. Getting annoyed by it. It only lasts maybe 15 seconds if that when I first turn it on. Are all of you having the same issue??

10

^ Yes. Having the same issue. Follow the link to file a complaint.

10

Well, gee wiz fellow Dodge victims. I just bought a 2011 Dodge Avenger and It's winter so I noticed the Heater issue right away. Cold on the Passenger side, Warm on the driver's side I took it right back cause I just got it from a Chevy dealer. They changed the thermostat and housing and flushed the engine. Got it back with exactly the same issue. They didn't check the passenger side for heat, just the driver's side. Go figure. They have it as I type this message right now. They give me a loner car and no charge yet so I am lucky so far. I will keep on them non stop untill they get this fixed or I get another car. Then I find this web site with all of you talking about the same damn issue. Why, oh why didn't I read this before I chose this car. To be honest, the car is beautiful other than this issue. I will come back and tell you what they done to fix it soon, if they can fix it. I paid $2000.00 for an extended Silver bumper to bumper warranty but I don't think it would cover this issue based on your letters. Damn good thing I noticed it right away.

Thanks Siva, going to the website now to complain... in the mean time stuff a blanket on the floor board ..... stops the cold air from coming through... lol

10

I've noticed something new that has been happening but I didn't think it would be the problem. I tend to hear water flushing randomly when I'm at idle or when I'm pulling out from somewhere. I was thinking it could just be random water just rushing off of somewhere but I realized I'm never parked from under the carport. I'm thinking it may be that my coolant system is clogged up. Does anyone else hear this sound? Check when you first start your car and when you're slowing down.

I hear the water in mine too

I have a 2013 Dodge Avenger (Springs Cab taxi) 2.4L & was having the same problem. I would get hot air from driver side & cold from middle passenger to window passenger vents. I have since replaced water pump & all vents are hot now!! Make sure to bleed system of air or you will get a check engine light. I got water pump at Advance Auto for $50 bucks w lifetime warranty!

I have changed the blend door twice and no changes. The far right blend door seems to have no real purpose. I've unhooked it for now because it's clicking again . After having it unhooked for a while I can still control the flow of air ..temp setting ..anf different modes. What the heck?

Same problem here. Hot air driver side but cold air on passenger side when heat is on. Also had clicking noise so I replaced the actuator. Fixed clicking but didn’t fix the cold air on passenger side.