are 20" wheels on Jeep liberty jet, good in the snow?

Asked by Nov 23, 2015 at 02:06 PM about the 2012 Jeep Liberty Limited Jet 4WD

Shopping for a jeep liberty Jet 2012.  It has 20 inch wheels.  Is this SUV and
wheel size good for winter weather/ snow and ice?

What size and type tires are on your Jeep? As far as I know the selection of good snow and off road tires is pretty limited in the 20" size because 20" tires are really only good on the road.

I don't like low profile tires on a 4x4 because the wheels are easily damaged when you hit a rock or pot hole. Tires can be aired down for better snow traction but low profile tires really can't be aired down much like 70 series tires. If it were my choice I would want 17" wheels on my Jeep.

Bob Beaman

Depends on the tire tread. Put a set of these on it and it will be good in snow..... tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Blizzak+DM- V1&partnum=45R0DMV1&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=y es&autoMake=Jeep&autoYear=2012&autoModel=Liberty&autoM odClar=Limited%20Jet

Thanks for your help. I am thinking about buying this used Jeep Liberty Jet 2012. It has 26,869 miles. It is at a local dealership. Have not seen it yet but from the pictures on the website , it appears to be in beautiful shape and loaded, leather and all. In July they were asking 24,000. Now they are down to an asking price of $20,880. What do you think would be a good price to negotiate? I looked up the info on the wheels and they are Alloy wheels 20" 245/50SR20.0. That was in reference to whether this SUV will be good on snowy pavements. I am new to the Jeep world so I appreciate all the info you can give me. I want to purchase this car for vacations where cargo room is needed and also carrying our bikes on the back. Speaking of bikes, do you have any idea whether Thule has a model for a rear bike holder for this Liberty or does a hitch need to be installed. Thanks again for any and all assistance. If there is a good reason for me not to buy the 2012 Liberty Jet let me know that also. I can take it!!! Thanks again. Hopey On Nov 23, 2015, at 2:13 PM, CarGurus wrote:

Bob Beaman

Just keep in mind if the snow gets deep enough to reach the underside of the vehicle, tires won't help much.

If you are driving on plowed roads then any good snow tire will do just fine but off road or in deep snow the ability to air down makes all the difference. If just want to drive up to the ski resort then get a good set of snow tires and have fun!

#1: A really skinny tire is best in the snow- bites down below the surface- #2: That's a lot of money for a used Jeep-

I know this was posted earlier this year, but I agree with the premise that narrow tires do better in the snow than wide tires, especially in a Jeep. For some reason, everyone thinks wider is better, since that is what works for mud, dirt and sand. Snow is a totally different element and the same does NOT go for it. If you try to stay on top, you bust through and sit on top of the snow and go nowhere. You want to start with your tires on the ground and keep them there, where the traction is. Even on ice, narrower is better, in that it concentrates the weight of the vehicle in a narrow space to maintain traction. Otherwise, yes a 20 inch tire will NOT do as good in snow than, say a 15 inch or 16 inch tire will.