Car is running rough. I took it to local Dodge dealer and they misdiagnois the problem. It cost over $1,000. The car engine has a code of P0172 which I have researched and (below in details)

Asked by Aug 09, 2016 at 01:53 PM about the 2004 Dodge Caravan SE

discussed with my long time mechanic.  He has checked the vacuum lines and the fuel line.  He has also swapped in and out parts that he thought were defected.  However the one problem he can't understand is the spark plugs which are new are black in cylinder 1 and 4.  The plugs are white in the other ones.  Do have any insight on what the problem is ?  I am going to try Sea Foam Injector cleaner and run the car at fast speed up the interstate to see if any thing happen.  Thank you in advance for any advice.

11,385

1 and 4 cyl, are running rich bank one BLACK FLUFFY (not wet) deposits don't waste your money on Seafoam..(kerosene) that money could be spent towards repairing the problem! lots of possibly cause for running rich BUT, the plug reading indicates 1 and 4 I would read fuel trim in real time with a real scanner and injector cycle times an oscilloscope can spot a bad injector wave. $1000 and they couldn't isolate the cause of bank one rich ODD with a factory DBRIII scan tool and gas analyzer!

20,985

Need to know what engine. You show running too rich on bank 1. On most Dodge engines cylinders #1 and 4 are in banks 1 and 2 respectively. Problem may be present in both banks but just detected first in bank 1. Can be leaky fuel rails or individual injectors. Carbon scoring on plugs is a sign of running rich. Could be fuel leak, could be bad coils...