why does my airbag light come on when I make right hand turns?

25

Asked by Aug 13, 2008 at 07:24 PM about the 2004 Dodge Caravan SE

why does my airbag light come on when I make right hand turns?...No its not the "clockspring"...B cus the horn still works when its lit.
I got to where I only make left hand turns...I eventually get to where I want to go...but with these gas prices the way they are...it would be nice to be able to just turn right again.

13,495

You either have an electrical issue or a sensor problem. You need to get your vehicle to a trusted mechanic before something bad happens while your driving that could endanger you or your passengers. This is not something that you can continue to ignore.

25

clockspring, conects drivers air bag/horn to airbag module.

35

i agree with ralph, Electrical is my guess...i don't think it will go off on its own while taking right turns tho so i wouldn't worries to much about it...but you should still get it looked at...Easy fix my guess.

i'd check it out... the last thing you want is a) the airbag goes off when you're driving, or b) if you crash and it doesn't work at all

835

RALPH yes it is the clockspring the horn is seperate circuitry and it won't set off the the air bag its nearly impossible for it to set off the air bag....i don't care what anyone else tells you, have the clockspring changed and it won't be a problem anymore. airbags need to have 2 or 3 impact sensors to send a signal to the bcm where the air bag will deploy only if you are going over 20 kmh. if the clockspring is damaged it won't allow the air bag to deploy so its not safe to drive it that way.

10

Good news, It is the airbag clockspring, NOT the airbag sensors behind the front bumpers. Logic: If turning the steering wheel affects it- its the clockspring. Occasionally, the front right airbag sensor (behind bumper sleeve) will go bad from weather and moisture. ALWAYS disconnect the battery before changing and allow static electricity to disperse (turn on headlights or wait 20 minutes). Clockspring prices on EBAY start at $67 and $85 at your local auto parts store. Its also probable a contact is worn on your old clockspring. Now, if someone could just figure out the rattle on my left side sliding door????