i replaced a motor with a another the one i put in was running when taken out of another van now it wont start its a 2004 dodge caravan

Asked by Feb 09, 2014 at 10:09 PM about the 2004 Dodge Caravan Cargo Van

I checked grounds I don't think im getting spark not sure if I checked coil wires right? im not getting a ground or power to coil. I even replaced pcm with the original one that was on the van I took the motor from. new crank sensor,im at a loss someone told me I wont have ground or power at the coil if the cranksensor aint reading got a 5 volt reading at sensor but on the solas computer no rpm is reading well it goes in and out

7,205

You wont have power to coil all the time. The coil is on the ASD circuit.(auto shut down) IT will power up for abt. 3 seconds when the key is turned on. This allows the fuel pump to build press. There are many things on asd. fuel pump, ign. coil, fuel injectors and some others. The crank sensor should have 5vt. Can you hear the fuel pump when you turn on the key? That will tell you if asd is working. If so, Ck for voltage at the #2 pin at coil. Brown with white tracer. remember it will only power for abt 3 sec. So you may need someone to turn on key. I supplied a pic of coil wiring. So if all tests ok. Then odds are there is a sensor issue. You may want to ck fuse 18 Before you do any other tests. If you have a sensor issue, it usually sets a code right away. Hope this helps...