What would cause the catalytic converters to burn out at 65,000 miles? The mechanics & exhaust guys I've taken it to can't tell me why & say the rest of the exhaust is great but loud?

Asked by Feb 11, 2014 at 09:47 AM about the 2005 Dodge Stratus SXT

Its been 3 yrs now that my 2005 Dodge Stratus SXT "sedan" has been giving codes since 65,000 miles for everything from fuel pump issues, which I replaced, to the
TPS sensor, also replaced, to injection rail that is now cleaned & perfect, to the constant code Po4300 & 04200, the book says catalyst efficiency system below threshold bank 1&2 (has the weird 2.7L V6 that has the hose running from the front valve cover where the pcv valve is on the other 2.7L into the air filter housing). I have no idea where to start (spark plugs were fine a few months back). The exhaust guy & numerous mechanics/techs have told me the same thing, they have no ides why it is now loud as though the muffler etc is rotting off but its fine, & they can't find anything wrong w/ the sensors, pumps,etc..that is making it run rough & so rich. Every so often it sends a code for misfire bank 2 & camshaft positioning sensor issues but only for a day or so. Its cost me a fortune & the car now has 106,000 miles, I just want my car to run nice again. Please help!

"Visually inspect the exhaust system for leaks, check the catalytic converter for dents, holes, severe discoloration, and check for a rattle inside. If any of those symptoms are there, the converter likely needs replacement. Then, visually inspect the downstream O2 sensor (behind the converter). Check for broken wires, obvious faults, etc. If all that checks out, you'll want to check the operation of the O2 sensor. To do that, you'll need access to a scan tool or oscilliscope. Check that the waveform is pretty steady. If the reading fluctuates then the sensor is likely bad and will need to be replaced."