Need opinions: Is it worth it to revive my 05 stratus???

45

Asked by Feb 06, 2011 at 09:10 PM about the 2005 Dodge Stratus SXT

My 2005 Dodge Stratus SXT with almost 138,000miles just got towed to a new mechanic.  They tell me that my timing belt broke and I will need a new engine.  They are estimating a newly rebuilt engine+labor+new parts will be $4,000 and will include a 3yr/100,000mile warranty.  I don't know ANYTHING about cars and since this is my first time going to this mechanic I don't know if this is a fair offer.  If there are any people out there that really know this kind of car, please weigh in on what you think I should do.  I have heard that the transmissions tend to go on this car often too so I would hate to put this kind of money into it if that could be a pricey problem soon too.  Please help me decide.  Thank you in advance.

25

this is where some businesses get you...when your timing belt snaps while driving it ....it could be just a couple bent valves..which does not cost 4k its a simple fix if you know what your doing

45

Does it matter that it didn't happen when driving (at least to my knowledge). I drove to a store and turned it off, as usual. Then, when I came out it wouldn't start. I tried to start it a few times but nothing happened. The mechanic told me that the damage was really from me trying to start it again. Could that be true?

45

well if you kept trying to start the engine it probly didnt help you any but to tell you the truth i wouldnt be able to tell you what other damage has been done with it tearing her down and cleanin her up if your engine seized up from it then yea your screwed on that i know the 02s have a valvue problem at 350000 they just drop off the rocker arm assembly but i dont know if thats gunna be an issue in the 05 how ever could have verry well done that which would require a tear down of your engine for starts to get the valves out of your combustion chambers for starts i think that would be your problem if your valves are open theres no compression what so ever your engine wont turn over i havnt heard anything about the transmissions goin on the dodge cars besides the neon they just suck in general i havnt had to have such work done yet please dont jinx me so i couldnt fairly tell you if thats a usual price for something like that out of a shop i mean i can just do it myself though easier when you have the tools and the know how.

45

i dont know if driving or not would make a difference realy if the belt whent when you tried to start the engine it would make more sence you would hear the belt snap when you were driving but over an engine trying to turn over i dont know your talking a 1300 rpm normal idle and usualy around 25 to 28000 rpm on the start

70

frankly,after all the stuff that has gone wrong with my wifes stratus, she sai9d she wouldnt buy any more crysler products sorry,this isnt much help..