My 2012 Ford Explorer gives me the message "shift to park" when I turn off the car. The car is fully in park. I have to push the button on the gear shift and jiggle the gear shift for it to finally acknowledge it's in park (by sliding the seat back and the message goes away). Sometimes I have to shift it to drive and back again, before jiggling to get it into park. Any suggestions to what i need to do to fix this problem

10

Asked by Jun 06, 2014 at 10:12 AM about the 2012 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD

My 2012 Ford Explorer gives me the message "shift to park" when I turn off the car. The car is fully in park. I have to push the button on the gear shift and jiggle the gear shift for it to finally acknowledge it's in park (by sliding the seat back and the message goes away). Sometimes I have to shift it to drive and back again, before jiggling to get it into park.  Any suggestions to what i need to do to fix this problem

222,905

Proabably a faulty Transmission shift lock solenoid. It detects when the shifter is in park or gear.

23,075

Wow, in this circumstance I'd look at the transmission linkage adjustment, Gear selector indicator, I'd look for debris inside the shifter (soda, french fries, dirt) and possibly pull the driver's seat to look at what else may be interfering. I'm just guessing here since I have never encountered this concern with any of our 11 Explorers.

16,600

Being a 2012, it should be covered via warranty, expecially if the fault is in the transmission. Assuming, of course, the mileage is under the 70K or so that comes with the vehicle.

20

I have had the same issue occur twice now. Once more and it is going to the shop. Did you get a resolution?

30

I recently had the same problem, linkage was adjusted (per ford engineer)then a new shifter was installed, still not resolved, going back this week into the dealership.

20

I am having the same issue. Car has 25K miles on it and is going in next week for this and other problems, including recall on power steering. Car is a 2012 Limited 4WD.

30

I have the exact same problem with my explorer. Wth. It's a 2011 explorer. Did anyone find out the issue.

60

My Ford Explorer has been doing the same thing for 2 years. The dealer said I had spilled something in the gear shift to cause it and wanted over $1,000 to replace so I have just lived with it but it is really aggravating. Has anyone found a solution to this?

10

I just had to get my shifter replaced on my Explorer 2012 limited. When I would shut off the car, I would get a message that I still need to turn off the car to conserve battery. Then I would get a message that it is powering down. Hence, my battery was being drained if I didn't drive it every day. 3 trips to the shop so hopefully this is a fix.

300

SERVICE MESSAGES & BULLENTINS MAY - SEPTEMBER 2013 BCM6535–2011–2013 Edge/MKX/Explorer“Shift To Park” Message While In Park 2011 –2013 Edge/MKX/Explorer“ShiftToPark”message may be displayed with the shifter in Park if the shift cable is not correctly adjusted. Follow the shift cable adjustment procedure in the work shop manual section 307-05 to correct this condition. Remember that the shift cable adjustment is always done with both the shifter and transmission in Drive.

30

I am having the same problem shift to park in my 2012 Ford Explores. Take it for a car wash get in it first this Shift to Park This need to be investigated and fix by ford Motor Company.

10

My ChevyCruze does this all the time no one knows how to fix it. But I learned that just pressing the button on the shifter usually makes it go away. It's better for the car to flick the shifter button than shaking the entire shifter

30

There are a lot of Ford Explores that have this problem and this need to be fixed by Ford Motor, 2012 Ford Limited

23,075

A Ford TSB exists that addresses this concern directly. The shifter lever needs to be replaced with an updated part. You'll need to purchase it from the dealer. There's no quick fix.

5

We all need to contact Ford and ask for a recall on this, too many problems

23,075

Recalls are only generated for safety related concerns and usually only when there are deaths involved. Ford likes your money.

I am having the same problem in my 2014 Explorer. Apparently they never fixed the problem. Unfortunately this has been only one issue in a long list. You are right. Ford likes there money but they do not like to help you when you have a problem. I have been very disappointed with them & now this constant annoying alarm!!!

23,075

REPEAT: A Ford TSB exists that addresses this concern directly. The shifter lever needs to be replaced with an updated part. You'll need to purchase it from the dealer. There's no quick fix.

My 2013 Ford Explorer Limited is doing it all the time...very annoying? I would like to snip a wire but there are likely none or it is against the law. Not ready to go back to the model T but simpler would be better.