CVT TRANSMISSION FAILURE

140

Asked by Jan 12, 2016 at 09:57 AM about the 2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Limited Hatchback

The CVT transmission on my 2012 Subaru Impreza completely failed at
55,000 miles and luckily was replaced under the 60,000 mile powertrain
warranty. It was $7500.00 job ! My 5th Subaru and the third to have a
tranny fail. First was a manual on my 2002 WRX, second the auto tranny on
my 2007 Impreza, now the CVT on my 2012 Impreza. Subie and their
trannys have problems, don't keep one past the 60,000 warranty limit !!!!

102,115

Sounds like you need to change to something a little more heavy duty than a Subuaru.

140

Hell I'm an old (64) year man and drive very easy. I guess Cadillac is my next purchase......LOL !

102,115

I'm 62 and just plain got tired of the newer foreign cars and the faults they seem to developed as mileage increases, so I no longer buy Foreign vehicles, and I am very picky about the US made vehicles too, so far I have had extremely good luck with Jeep and GM trucks and SUV's. HTH

5,710

Bonjour Monsieur Breyette! Ca va? CVT failures are starting to pile up, but it's early yet. Both the early manual and 4EAT boxes are pretty durable, but I do rarely see the latter wear from lack of clean ATF. Usually the AWD transfers get sticky, or a dried seal causes unsafe drivability from throttle-lag. I've seen a few torque-converter lockup failures in the 2.5i CVT, but only one screwed up, loudly buzzing 2.0 Imp CVT. How did your fail? I've a couple of 2011+ Legs w/ 125k on their CVTs with no issues; indeed the great majority of them are fine. I change the CVT fluid prophylactically. I don't think that idiosyncratic failure is about wear (mileage), but I do hear that there may be a "soft" bushing that's causing CVTs to bind up at idle. I'm hoping we're not trading old HG failure frequencies for CVT horror shows. The efficiency and drivability of the system is so good that I'm still recommending them (despite the 2.0 being a bit weak to wind it up; the 2.5i CVT is a FAR more optimized drivetrain). Tennis: Didn't know Indiana was a foreign country....

140

My Subaru dealer does all the service and assured me that this CVT was sealed and did not require any maintenance for 100,000 miles. Mileage at failure was 55,500......???????

79,645

My Subaru dealer recommends changing the CVT fluid regardless of what Subaru says. If you plan on keeping it then maintain it! My 2003 Forester automatic had 200,000 miles on it when I sold it and it worked perfectly.

79,645

Stephen - what kind of driving do you do? Did your other cars fail at low miles?

140

I asked the dealer about changing the CVT fluid when I had the differentials done, they said it didn't need any servicing until 100,000 miles. I went with their expertise and now this! I'm 64 and drive city/highway about 50/50. No jackrabbit starts, I store it in a heated garage. Drive moderately but I do run 80 on the highway if it's a long trip. Car is always warmed up. My 2002 WRX had a recall which replaced the flywheel, pressure plate and clutch disc with STI parts under warranty @ 60,000. My 2007 Impreza had to have the auto tranny rebuilt before 36,000 miles, then my 2012 Impreza Limited had the CVT fail at 55,500 miles. Don't know what else I could do, all are always serviced according to schedule at the local Subaru Dealer??

79,645

I would love to hear from our resident Subaru cheerleader on this one.

5,710

Salut, Stephan. Be assured that there was NOTHING you could've done to prevent your CVT failure. It probably just had a goofy throttle body...which is the expensive electromechanical internal "brain". Somehow you've been extraordinarily unlucky. I'm not as familiar with the WRX driveline foibles, but suspect that the tranny couldn't handle the boost. That the '07 Imp 2.5i cooked a 4EAT is also idiosyncratic...fairly rare. But the CVT crapping out after 3 years scares me indeed. We'll see what the future portends. My understanding is that the actual CVT drive is ok, but only TB's are failing. probably typical Toyoburu cost-cutting. Sigh....

79,645

Extended warranties for CVT's are probably a good idea.

5,710

I suspect that Subie will have to offer "soft" goodwill warranties for 8yrs/100k to "juicy" customers. Not good enough for me, as I need to have these be 200k trannies.

79,645

I define a "good "car as being able to go a minimum of 200k with few if any major repairs if maintained properly and not abused. Most of my cars have been "good". Toyota's, Ford's and Subaru until the new lemon I got last year.

79,645

At $7,500 a pop, these had better be 400k tranmissions. If you have a CVT go out at 150k you might as well scrap the car.

5,710

I would hope that the market settles in at about $1500 for a good used one so that replacement could sit just under $2k. 4EATs are much less than that by now, but we'll see what the demand curve looks like soon enough!

140

Just a follow up here: The "new Reman CVT tranny" that Subaru installed failed catastrophically at 75 MPH after 8 days and less than 200 miles. This last CVT tranny mishap almost killed me. Subaru now has a brand new CVT trans coming for me. I have traded the car and once I finally get it back (it's been another 2 weeks without my car), hopefully the car will at least make it to the dealership where I have my new car ordered.

5,710

Ha! Here comes the CVT failure curve...it's interesting to note that the prior indie SOA used for rebuilding 4EATs is no longer contracted to them. Hmmm.... An indie in Maine has successfully replaced throttle bodies in errant CVTs, as I would think that the mechanical drive system itself is robust...but I guess yours wasn't! Yech....

20

We just had the "clicking" sound in our 2014 Impreza Sportwagon with 48K miles. Dealer replaced the tranny under the warranty, and then the "new" tranny bit the big one 10 miles down the road. The differential locked up all four wheels at speed in the high speed lane of the interstate during high traffic time. Luckily my wife didn't get rear-ended, but the newly installed CVT tranny was locked completely, so she couldn't even move out of the high speed lane of travel. Towed back to the dealer.....now trying to decide if we trust this particular Subaru, as I'm concerned that the sudden lock up of the transmission may have damaged other components in some manner.

5,710

I wouldn't be overly worried about peripheral driveline damage, and suspect that any such involvement would be audible. I'm fearing that CVT failures will follow the dastardly HG history. Still early....

30

My 2012 Subaru Impreza hatch back has been one GIANT headache. We are a 5 subaru family, but this one has been a nightmare. First we had the oil consumption issues and (after about a years worth of oil consumption checks every week or so) the engine was rebuilt. How could anything else go wrong? Well at 90K the CVT has failed and the rear suspension needs to be replaced. The Subaru corporate says they will give -$2000 off of the estimated $9200 in repairs.... So DISAPPOINTED. When is the class action lawsuit going to start!?!?

5,710

I'd push SOA on the CVT. By rear suspension do you mean simply the sway bar bushings, perhaps a noisy wheel bearing (like the one I just replaced), or actually the struts (which would be much less common...so far). If SOA won't help further you can find a used CVT and have it swapped in for $2-2.5k. Curious: SOA replace the short block or actually swapped out the rings?

50

I have a 2012 Subaru Outback with 73,000 miles and 5 years old. The car was working fine until I turned into my neighborhood and heard a noise. I made it home and then had to have it towed to the dealer. They said it failed internally and will cost $8900 to replace. No reason given why it failed. I called SOA and I am waiting to hear if they will pay. It is out of warranty. If they only offer $2000 I will have to put in a used one and sell it. I am not buying a Subaru again.

10

2013 Subaru Legacy Premium with 2.5i engine. Car well maintained, has had all its service checks completed at the right intervals. CVT Transmission failure at 58,300 miles. I was driving on the highway when I noticed the front left wheel felt like it was shaking. Then a minute later the entire transmission locked up while I was going 70 mpg. Car has been towed to my local Subaru dealer and I am waiting to hear what they say.

5,710

To all you CVT-plagued users: just keep pushing, as SOA will have to cave and extend warranties sooner or later.

40

Was just told today by dealer that my 2012 Impreza CVT transmission has to be replaced. Just under 68K miles on it. Transmission hasn't failed yet, but it was making a bad winding/grinding noise. I believe it's covered under an extended warranty I reluctantly purchased. Any guidance on how to ensure I'm getting the right solution from the dealer? I'm also concerned about continuing to drive it on the highway for 2-3 weeks while the dealer gets a replacement. Thanks.

79,645

Travis - I would not settle for anything less than a new transmission. Then you can sell it with a clear conscience which I would do ASAP after getting it back from the dealer..

102,115

If this making that kind of noise I doubt it will last much longer, let alone 2 or 3 weeks.

5,710

CVT noises are almost always worn inner bearings; the noisy result doesn't actually effect the operation of the tranny, but of course will eventually fail. I don't know of anyone who waited that long, though, as it's a very annoying big-cat whine, eh?

5,710

Replacement of a failed torque converter (stalling, etc) is possible, and reasonable. But drive bearing friction-noise requires tearing the entire CVT down, which so far we've learned should NOT be done; hence full CVT swap is indicated.

140

They replaced my original at 52,000 mile with an "official" Subaru rebuild with failed catastrophically at 80 mph just 200 miles into it. Replaced that with a third "official" Subaru rebuilt CVT tranny which was also probably junk but I traded the car immediately after the third was installed. 55,000 miles and 3 CVT trannies and I'll never own another Subaru AGAIN! Each time I INSISTED on a NEW CVT tranny and they said they would only warranty a rebuild swap. FU Subaru !!! Car ran and shifted like crap after the swaps.......

5,710

Well...that's why they replace them whole now.

10

Anyone have CVT issues with their 2016 WRX?

10

2013 impreza 2.0 cvt 140k. Some kind of whistle noice coming from the car when driving, gets louder when let of gas. Noice go away when put in neutral while driving??? Any clue what it could be?

5,710

I'd guess a CVT bearing. If fluid is original DEFINITELY drain and refill pronto, and hope for the best.

10

Newer Subaru cars with the CVT are garbage. I have a Crosstrek that vibrates and shutters since new and has gotten worse at 50K miles. Three dealer service centers say its normal. Subaru Of America is no help. No more Subaru cars for me

5,710

Anyone test drive it with you? Happens at what speeds? Try to have differentiation between wheel bearing ($200), bad half-axle ($200), and inner CVT bearing (ouch!).

20

2015 WRX with 42k miles is stalling when coming to stops after being driven long distances. On a drive from SLC to Boise yesterday cruising at 80mph the AT OIL TEMP light came on. Pulled over and let car idle in park for a few minutes to keep the fluid circulating and cool down. Happened several more times. I suspect the torque converter locked up and stayed locked up causing extra stress on the trans. After the car stalled, it started right back up. Put in gear and immediately stalled again. I "powered braked" the car and got it to move but it was slow to pull. This basically confirmed to me that the TC was still locked up and is failing.

40

Update- getting a used transmission installed this week under the extended warranty. They would not cover a rebuilt transmission at ~$7500, only a used one at ~$2500.

5,710

You're better off with a used one, as they do NOT suffer a "rebuild" successfully!

5,710

Sorry Dan. I suspect that the CVT simply can't handle the WRX's boost.

40

Update- used transmission was installed today by the dealer. Before they even pulled it out of the garage it failed due to a cracked casing that resulted in transmission fluid leaking everywhere. The dealership is now arguing with the extended warranty company (First Warrant - purchased through the Subaru dealer at the time of purchase) about replacing this one. I've been without my car now for nearly four weeks. This is so disappointing. Any advice on how to approach SOA about this?

5,710

The source of the used trans should have a usual 6 mo wty?

140

I bought a new car. One without a "snowmobile transmission" but a REAL automatic transmission.........That solved my problem with Subaru CVT trannys......

5,710

So what'd you get? The new CX-5 is so far my favorite, excellent handling, AWD 'cute, as I'm still put off by the Audi Q5's cost and poor serviceability. I'm still "off" any new Subie because of compromised handling, but maybe the new 2017.5 Indiana-Imp could be a winner...but of course it uses sliding cones too.

140

Mazda 3 hatchback with automatic transmission

5,710

Good for you! My favorite FWD ecobox. I semi-race a supercharged Miata, and still regard Mazda as my favorite manufacturer. Though poor, now ell-separated from Ford, I hope they can survive, as handling, efficiency and reliability are their primary motivations. I think the new CX3 is perhaps overpriced, but it must be a fun AWD driver...did you consider it?

140

Considered the CX 5 actually.......

30

I've got a 2012 Impreza Sport. With a CVT Trans. I'm still paying it off (had a 6 year term for my loan). It has 94,400 miles on it. And I was just told that it needs a new transmission. Cost will be a minimum of $7,000. Which I don't have. At all. I called Subaru Headquarters and they are looking into seeing what they can do for me. Since I'm still paying it off does anyone here recommend anything specific? If I trade it in will I be limited to trading it into Subaru? Should I risk another CVT Transmission or move over to Manual? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

79,645

If you trade in a car that can't be driven you will get almost nothing in return. Installing a used CVT with warranty might be what you want. Install it and then sell while it is still under warranty. Pressure Subaru to do the right thing by you. Let us know what their response is. I personally would avoid any CVT and you have first hand knowledge of the reasons!

5,710

Payment status does not affect your freedom to trade your car anywhere. Continue to push SOA to "participate" strongly in covering your CVT. Note that used CVTs can be installed for about $2k, so it's not fatal. Do NOT "rebuild" your CVT, as that rarely works, as these are assembled new in "clean rooms"...conditions not replicable in the aftermarket. That said, newer CVTs...especially for the Imp, are supposed to be more durable. Their extraordinary efficiency can be weakly (I can see FOR's eyebrows rise!) seen as an unfortunate, but not ridiculous payback...but perhaps only in the expensive fuel environments for which they were made. At under $3/gal for fuel the payback equivalence is very weak, but at $8-10/gal (2- 3euros/liter) replacing a CVT for $2k every 100k mi approaches parity, and is certainly not a reason to regress toward a thirstier antiquated manual trans. OTOH the small Imp 2.0 motor struggles to wind up the CVT, and feels great with the 5 speed stick! Only with the larger Legacy/OB 2.5i does the CVT mate seamlessly. That this CVT's failures seem to be related primarily to either its torque converter ($$) or inner drive bearing (cheaper part) indicates that more robust engineering should be successful. But what a pain, eh? For three decades I've complained that Fuji should step up and spend more and damn the necessary 10% or so increase in list price. Now that AWD has succeeded in getting into mainstream acceptability they needn't give it away for the same price as FWD competitors. It's my understanding that SOA can be easily pushed to cover CVTs under 100k, just as they had to do so back in the nasty head gasket era. Nonetheless, I specialize in sorting pre-owned young specimens for their second 100k, and the creeping CVT failure rates do scare me. Sigh....

79,645

Good post Guru ;) lol

30

Thanks for the quick responses- F_O_R and TheSubaruGuruBoston. I did talk to my dealer and already asked them about used CVTs and they told me they don't handle them or use any used parts. My non-dealer mechanic can get his hands on a used CVT that has 40,000 miles on it- but the price was about 4 grand. And I don't know if that can be guaranteed. I think at this point I need to wait and see what SoA comes back with and go from there. I'm really hoping they come back with something good..

30

Well, SOA just called me and they are comping me a new transmission. So I'm back to being a happy girl right now! I just hope this new tranny will last me at least just as long.

5,710

Ta dah!

79,645

Good job Basianj!

My 2011 Outback CVT failed at 150,000 miles. I guess I'm lucky but I want to keep the car for now. After reading all the helpful posts I concluded that the car needed a transmission transplant but I would not pay the dealer $6k. SOA said they would only consider helping with cost if I submitted ALL maintenance records. Well that wasn't going to happen. I finally found a shop that would do the transplant. When the mechanic emptied the CVT oil he said it was full of crap that shouldn't be there. I found a 72k transmission from a rear end totalled outback at Butler Used Auto parts for $1400 plus $85 overnight freight, 6 mo. Warranty. My mechanic is planning on doing the transplant tomorrow. Hopefully back in the car by Friday. I am a bit nervous about taking a 150 mile trip this weekend without driving the car for a few days around areas that I'm familiar with. Some of the posts above about failures after transmission replacement are scary. Any thoughts about how to break in the used transmission to reduce my anxiety? I may delay my trip for a few days. I realize failure is not predictable. Just need to feel that I've taken a reasonably safe approach to drive testing the replacement. Typical suburban driving and 79 mph on highway with cruise control.

79,645

Good luck. A used transmission is already broken in.

20

Subaru of America caved in and is replacing CVT transmissions for free and providing 100,000 warranty. All of you who paid before for tranny repair work can submit your receipts for payment. My wife's 2014 Forester 2.5 at 71,000 miles needed to be replaced. The day after picking up the car my wife was driving on the freeway when the wheels locked up and began to jerk, the car skidded about 90 yards. Thankfully she was able to pull to the side off the freeway. We returned the vehicle back to Subaru of Glendale and they refused to repair it. Basically they don't know how to repair it. I spoke with a representative from bureau automotive affairs today and he said CVT transmissions are his number one complaint... he's desk is stacked with claims. Keep you posted.

79,645

CVT's really cannot be repaired, only replaced at huge costs. People need to demand reliable transmissions.

79,645

Incidentally the CVT issue is because car manufactures are desperately trying to comply with outrageous government demands for ever increasing fuel economy. You - the consumer are the guinea pig are footing the bill. Is it worth all this trouble for a fraction of a MPG?

5,710

F_O_R It's rare that we disagree, but on this one I'll argue that increasing fuel efficiency on internal combustion engines is almost always a step away from their horrendous heat:power ratio. I agree that many manufacturer attempts at marginal increases in or der to get that "rounding up" +1mpg are almost comical...and at the expense of durability, but Subie's CVT is a terrific success in boosting real world efficiency a whopping +13-15% (closest apples-to-apples comparison is with the Legacy Sedan, where aero differences don't muck up the results, as with the too-tall OB or smaller motor Imp.

5,710

Let's try not to conflate baby and bathwater here: the failure points of Subie's CVTs have to do with internal CONVENTIONAL parts like valves and torque converters and simple bearings that are simply not durable enough...NOT the actual CVT power transfer "heart". The solution is simply to spec sturdier parts that drive the price up 10% or so...something Toyoburu is loathe to do. Now it's biting them in the ass...like the failed CrossTrek Hybrid. They're not used to such egg on the faces in Japanese boardrooms, eh?

140

A CVT failure is a failure, is a failure. The average owner doesn't care about the reasons, they are sadly stuck with the results. This all goes directly back to the manufacturer and engineers (Subaru) this is all on them. For whatever reason we suffer. I personally (after 5 Subarus) will NEVER own another one. Mazda still makes real automatic transmissions while so many others have gone to the dark side (CVT's). This is nothing more than a big snowmobile clutch in an automobile weighing 3300 + pounds.

5,710

I agree, Stephen, except that a DURABLE, intelligently programmed CVT will eventually mimic the efficiency of an electric motor in linear power delivery...someday? Note that my Mazda (2006 MX-5) uses the excellent AISIN 6AT (as also used in Subaru's BRZ). Doesn't make sense for a manufacturer to make EVERYTHING....

140

Agreed, a manufacturer doesn't need to make everything but then the ONE thing he does make & offer has to be nearly indestructible (don't you agree)?

79,645

CVTs are great in theory and hopefully the reality will move a lot closer to the theory. I I do think that a manual transmission with a wider spread of gear ratios should be able to match the CVT fuel economy but Subaru is hell bent on pushing the CVT so that will never happen.

79,645

I have driven both the CVT and the 6 speed Foresters and I was actually impressed with the CVT's operation. I drove the CVT cars for several thousand miles and the fuel economy in the mountain driving I do was identical to the 6 speed. Out on the highway the CVT did have better fuel economy at speeds over 70 and the lower engine speed was nice. I bought the 6 speed because I knew that the CVT problems would be surfacing and they did.

79,645

Just for fun I ran the EPA combined fuel economy (2015 Forester) for 100,000 miles and assumed $3 gas which is around what I pay. The fuel savings would be $889 which is less than the additional cost of the CVT when I bought mine ($1,000). You would save less if you pay less than that for gas.

5,710

Indeed, the problem is that in North America fuel is absurdly cheap...except for the planet, mass transit, etc. The 2.0 CVT Impreza is clearly comes into its own in a crowded euro environment, for example.

5,710

SB, you bet!

79,645

I would not mind a diesel Subaru but I know nothing about opposed 4 diesels. I wonder how the CVT would handle the diesel torque.

5,710

Subaru produced diesels that apparently succeeded beyond expectations in German taxi fleets (40mpg!) in the late noughts. Then Toyota took over and quelched plans for US certification and pushed their hybrid down the Cross-Trek's path. More egg on faces after the ill-fated hybrid only garnered +3mpg! A safest bet would be to marry the 2.0 diesel with the meatier 2.5's CVT, but Toyota won't pay for it....

20

My 2016 Forester CVT has to be replaced at 68K miles due to bad bearings I was hoping to keep this car for at least 200K. Thank God I purchased the extended warranty. Really Disappointed and guess I will be trading for a Rav4 or Mazda CX3 now.

5,710

If you really like your Forester (and I don't!) SOA will replace your CVT under the extended warranty. Stating that the F'ster is a better vehicle than the RAV/CRV/Rogue/et al is not saying much. But if your taste is spoiled I'd strongly consider the new CX5 unless the sportier CX3 is big enough. Either Mazda will have "soft" rear brakes and wheel bearings, but these are cheap by comparison. If the smaller CX3 is big enough then you might consider the new Impreza.

10

I was on the way to the hospital for a very important procedure, and my whole car locked up and we lost complete control on the main highway near Boston. This was 3 days after I replaced the cat transmission due to a recall!! We almost died today! And I almost missed a very important, time sensitive, procedure at the hospital. We couldn't get car completely off the road. We had to call Subaru roadside assistance and I had to call a taxi to take us to hospital, leaving my car near side of road! We are lucky we did not die. I am shocked that there have been a couple posts like this after a transmission was replaced.. how can that happen so frequently! These are people's lives on the lines.

30

Oh geeze, that sucks! I had my CVT replaced two and a half to three months ago. And this past Monday morning my car started doing all sorts of weird crap- took it back to the dealer and lo and behold the CVT that was put in there months ago was "defective" and it now needs a new one. Third CVT now- and I won't be finished paying off my car until December. W. T. F. I'm not happy about this and am really hoping the third time's a charm. Was told by the dealer that there's a back-log on the replacement cvts and it will take 3-4 weeks to come in. They've got me in a loaner car until then.

30

By the way my car now has 97,700 miles on it. This third transmission had better last me a few years. I'm assuming when I go over 100,000 if there's a(nother) problem I'll be on the 12 month 10,000 mile warranty of the new tranny.

5,710

Again, rebuilding the CVTs has been a low success rate endeavor. Insist on a NEW one when replacing one.

30

My dealer told me they won't/don't use rebuilt parts for anything and that cvts aren't able to be rebuilt. Regardless, the one they installed two months ago was brand new...and so will this one be. This is very disappointing.

140

My dealer gave me 2 rebuilds. EVEN after the second one locked up at 80 mph on the highway (I have that on my dash camera) I could have been killed! My 5th Subaru and I'll NEVER own another ever again !! They REFUSED to give me a new transmission! Just rebuilds. I got rid of the car with it's 3rd tranny at only 56,000 miles total.

5,710

Since SOA stopped rebuilding these in NJ I'm not sure they have a solid option to using new CVTs yet.

20

Got a New 17 Rav4 with a real 6spd Automatic to replace my Forester after the CVT failed at 68k miles. And even got a lifetime power train warranty and two years free maintenance. I drive 50k a year for work so at least I have some peace of mind now. Rav4 is not as peppy as the Forester but rides better is quieter on the highway so far gas milage is very close to the Forester at 28mpg

5,710

My rec for a new sport cute is the CX-5...or maybe even the baby Chevy. Both handle better than Rav4/CRV/For and even the BMW X1.

I had to replace the CVT on my 2012 Subaru Impreza at 129k miles. 2 years later Subaru extended the CVT warranty to 100k... they gave me a credit for any receipts I could find as a good will gesture... this was about 50% of my out of pocket costs, awesome. One month after getting the good will gesture check, my check engine light goes on. The Subaru dealer says it's an issue with the transmission and cost to fix is $1600. The car is crap. Any cost savings you think you're getting by purchasing a fuel efficient all wheel drive vehicle goes out the window once you've spent thousands getting repairs.

79,645

Sorry to hear about your troubles. My 2015 Forester has a 6 speed as I did not trust the CVT but this will be the last Subaru I buy unless they make some serious changes. I am looking and the Mazda CX-5 and 9 as a replacement for the Forester. I was told by a Mazda salesman the the CX-5 transmission is not a true auto but an auto-manual 6 speed which I will be researching.

5,710

The Mazdas use "true" automatics. At least in the past they were super-reliable Aisin units (as in my MX-5). I think the newest CX-5 is still too bulbous, leaving me recommending the much sportier CX-3 (despite being perhaps a tad overpriced) and the very much bigger CX- 9 for cavernous utility.

79,645

Guru - From what I have read the Mazda's use a dual clutch auto with torque converter. I don't know if it is hype or just a variation on traditional automatics. http://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/technology/skyactiv/skyactiv-drive/

79,645

I looked at all three cars and the CX-3 is tiny at least to me. The CX-5 is a bit smaller than the Forester, the styling does not bother me but I won't be driving it. ;) The CX-9 would be my choice as I like roomy cars. The interior of the CX-9 appears to be almost as big as my Expedition but I have not compared numbers yet.

I have a 2012 imp.. car has been excellent bought it CPO with 8900 mi... had engine block replaced at 75k due to oil consumption. Car runs excellent and is in great condition. Had rear passenger wheel bearing replaced recently as well. Other than that have performed all maintenance in book and haven't had problems.. however, my concern is CVT failure after 100k. In the event I had to replace could it be done with a manual? 6 speed ? Am I dreaming or is the price similar to the 8k to drop a new CVT in. Or should I go trade it and get a sti?

5,710

The CVT is a good 10-15% more efficient than the stick, btw, although the 2.0 feels great with the manual. Because you'd have to play with the ECM, TCM and harnesses I'd stick with a used CVT from a trusted source for $1.5k + install = $2k...IF ever needed.