magnetic oil plug vs magnet on oil filter trick

20

Asked by Dec 03, 2014 at 02:10 PM about the 2000 Jeep Cherokee 4 Dr Sport 4WD

Hi

if i use lets say a neodymium magnet ( may not even need anything that strong) and
put it on the oil filter that should work just as good as a magnetic oil plug  ?  i know i
may need to change the oil filter more

any thoughts ?
thanks

Most contaminates in motor oil are not iron/steel. No harm but I just can't see any benefit over a magnetic plug. My Toyota has a magnet on the bottom of pan. You are correct: change the filter and use a quality filter, they are not all the same. A $4 Filter is next to worthless, and can even restrict oil flow

5,285

I have a large disc shaped magnet that fits on the end of my oil filter. I bought it years ago through Amazon. It stays in place and can't hurt. :)