Jeep Cherokee sport 2000 heater blower trouble

20

Asked by Dec 03, 2014 at 08:29 AM about the 2000 Jeep Cherokee 4 Dr Sport 4WD

Hi
m working on a 2000 Jeep Cherokee sport and i have no power going to the heater fan
motor all fuse's are good... before the fan stopped working for good  .... when it would
stop you could mess with the wires going to the fan and it would start back up

so can i just by pass the speed control switch and run wires from the battery to the
fan motor with a on/off toggle switch inside the cab to turn it on and off  ....i know the
fan would run at top sped all the time it was turned on
thanks

17,810

Check the blower motor resistor. Its right next to the blower motor. Easy cheap fix.

20

thanks for the help already went online and ordered one.........and a new motor also.....so i will post back when i get the parts and put them on and get it working thanks

17,810

No problem. Glad to help.

20

Hi got the new resistor block put it in put in the new motor ......no power going to the motor looked around found that the plug that goes to the resistor block had been rewired and had a bad connection fixed that still not power so i checked the ground wire going to the fan motor it was good but can not find any power for the hot wire going to the fan motor .... seems to be more bad wires under the dash ( best i can tell).... so i got a high amp toggle switch and some high amp wire and a fuse hooked the fan motor up to the battery with the switch run inside the cab works fine now

17,810

Glad it worked out. Did you check the fuse? A lot of times the fuse gets blown when the plug/wires melt or the resistor/motor short out.

20

yep checked the fuse and it was good it may be the switch in the jeep but not sure

17,810

Ahhhh ok. Yea I would check and see if you have power coming in and out of the switch. Power in but not out would be a bad switch.

20

ok now i think it may be a bad relay that runs the blower motor just not sure which one goes to the fan motor any one have any ideas ? i got a Haynes Repair Manual for this model but it only has a typical wiring diagrams for this model and does not show which relay is for the fan thanks

20

Hey I am having exactly the same problem with my heater. Where exactly do I look to check all you said above? I have same modeI jeep.

20

Meaning it worked only on high for awhile and then stopped all together

20

I'm having the same issue with my Cherokee, replaced the resistor and the blower motor, still not working. What parts exactly did you use to set up the toggle switch to the battery?

i had the problem with my 1998 jeep grand cherokee i replaced the resistor blower motor worked fine was checking all the fuses under the dash found a 10amp with no power to the fuse went in the house to get my phone can out and the blower was running on high i plugged the resistor back in and it works fine for now so there must be a short in the system

40

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee ltd. I have a similar problem... intermittent fan for heat or A/C. sometimes it works, sometimes it does not.... switched on, not working, sometimes it randomly starts up... still getting heat or cold, just no fan. pulled the fuse, fan and resistor module checked all connections, cleaned, reconnected... worked for a few weeks, then back to intermittent...function seems to be affected by outside air temp at times. I am guessing the fan motor is worn out. Any ideas?