Temperature too high

25

Asked by Feb 26, 2016 at 04:20 PM about the 2005 Dodge Neon 4 Dr SXT Sedan

I replaced the thermostat and had it flushed
but for some reason the temperature went
high

74,715

Either the cooling system did not get purged from air when refilling, And maybe the fans are not turning on, or there may be a bad head gasket, or cracked head. You may notice white smoke out the exhaust, or the oil getting milky in color,

25

Fans work fine cut on every time. And white smoke only when it's really cold and oil is regular color brown

74,715

Cooling system purged from air when refilling?

25

What do you mean by that? What do I have to do?

74,715

With the engine cool, have the radiator cap off. Run the engine to operating temperature, while doing this coolant may be pushed out the top of the radiator. This is fine, that would be the air working its way out of the system. When the coolant level drops, (thermostat opening) add coolant as necessary, let it run and keep checking the coolant level until full. Put the radiator cap on when the engine is running before turning it off. Make sure the reservoir is filled to the proper level.

Best Answer Mark helpful
25

Thank you i putting a new upper and lower radiator hose on tomorrow I will do then when I reflush and what are your steps that I should take when flushing if you don't mind me asking

74,715

Well your kinda limited to what you have to work with. If I flush a radiator I like to take it out and use a garden hose in the lower port (lower radiator hose connection) & block the opening with rags so it can build up some pressure and let it run. I'll run it threw the top also, its not the best way but better than nothin. A radiator shop would have a better way of doing this. They can get the hole system flushed out good.

25

It's bout the same as I did I just left the radiator in and inserted hose thru top radiator but,i'll do it again just purge it this time. It cost a little too much and i,can afford a shop to do it

25

But thank you for your help you are very helpful

74,715

If you see the water flowing threw the radiator good when you have the hose in it, It should be fine. Just need to purge the air when refilling it. Put your coolant in first before starting the engine.