2005 Dodge Neon Not switching Gears! Help

Asked by Feb 15, 2016 at 11:28 PM about the 2005 Dodge Neon 4 Dr SXT Sedan

I am currently stuck at a gas station, the battery light
came on earlier today, I went out to the store, when I was
on my way home, I was on the highway, and it wouldn't
kick into gear. What could have caused this. Timing belt
and another belt were fixed less than a year ago. Please
someone get back ASAP!

I am going to guess this is an Automatic transmission...if so check the transmission fluid parking brake set...in park pull, wipe plunge...check should be ON the line~ slightly higher if hot~...but due to the temperature, humidity and salt on the roads am going to suggest that your battery is hardly connected because of corrosion~....so undo the bolt and wirebrush the connecting surfaces clean and stick 'em back together~ with refreshed power the ECU will act right and not display bogus info~ and life will be good again...enjoy my painting~!

It is an automatic. What is a transmission linkage? That is under the battery that gets corroded? Could that cause this?

use a flashlight and have a buddy activate the motion...and look if you can see anythin' that got jostled...but you give your buggy fresh power and all the automatic controls such as transmission control...think there is a TCU transmission control unit...that ain't gettin' no power!~ so only takes five minutes...get a toothbrush if you're at the quick-e-mart and a coke or plain water to wash the corrosion off~ so give our boy some power and he'll start bein' like he should now~

I'm going into the gas station to find a wire brush and I'm going to try the first thing you said. The battery terminals are corroded.

I knew that...have purchased at least TEN cars in my youth...they were plenty good with good upholstery and smelled nice...BUT...WISCONSIN...dammit wants to eat up all your steel...no amount of bottom wash can stop your car from being destroyed in "the salt belt" so ya, seen plenty...in fact, in time a totally untouched battery gets blue and hairy~ it happens...just have to periodically clean that off, I guess~

Yea we cleaned the terminals, and went to try to see if the car would kick into gear, and it totally lost power, we had to push to the side of the road. When starting it made a clicking sound, there was car lights but the car wouldn't start.

battery is dead....they only last 10 years now...it was my own father NAWAZ M QURESHI though 40 years in the automotive battery business designed the LEAD out of the design...so there is only tin/antimony instead of Lead~ that guy saved the Earth in his own special way...get a new battery~ it's time~