'05 Neon tranny codes

25

Asked by Sep 17, 2014 at 03:53 PM about the 2005 Dodge Neon 4 Dr SXT Sedan

My daughter has a 2005 Neon. The automatic tranny lost reverse. We replaced the tranny with another '05 that had only 96k miles on it which we picked up from a local salvage yard.
Here are the issues:

The tranny leaks (not sure where from). My guess is the shop that installed it did a crappy job. I don't think they replaced the filter or even the seals. I added fluid and it seems to shift fine and runs great at 70mph on the highway. No issues with a good fluid level.

Now her Check Engine light is on and throwing the following codes:

P0944- Hydrolic pump, loss of hydrolic pressure
P0733- Ratio error, 3rd gear transmission input doesn't match transmission output
P0732- Ratio error, 2nd gear transmission input doesn't match transmission output
P0441- Evaporative emmission system, small leak, no flow condition

The salvage yard is blaming the shop that installed it and the shop is blaming the salvage yard for giving us a bad transmission.
Any help or info we can get here will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

143,075

"ONLY" 96,000 miles? That was your first mistake. I mean no disrespect Seacoast, but it was likely leaking before it came out of donor car..you can't blame the shop for that, there is no way they did anything to the transmission but put it in.

25

I mean "only 96k" for a 9 year old car. I didn't think that was too bad. It just seems weird that a transmission that is apparently running good (no slipping or bucking and shift points seem good) would throw codes.

143,075

The codes can be interpreted literally, it can run and shift just fine but the input speed of the transmission is not putting out the proper output speed. I am having computer trouble and have to try to fix...sorry. will be back or maybe somebody can pick up from here. Again..sorry

25

Thank you for your answers thus far.

143,075

OK, Seacoast, see it is slipping. The ECU knows what speed the engine is feeding the transmission and in what gear, and the output sped in rpms on the shaft should be X-number. 99.99% chance too slow, I can'r fathom it being faster than it is supposed to be on the output shaft. If it's a 3 speed, you should be taching (or engine speed should be in rpm's) no more than about 2800 at 70-mph. If it feels like the engine is running too fast before it shifts, it is. Does the car have a tachometer? It should shift gears at about 2200 to 2400 under LIGHT acceleration. Lead foot take off, all bets are off

25

Thanks for the help. I'll check that out tomorrow when I have some time. I'm trying to get the salvage yard to do a diagnostic on it free of charge, but until then I'll check out the shift point RPM's. Thanks again!

143,075

Oh yeah..the P0441. That is EVAP emissions (well you can see that) and will give you trouble when it has to have it inspected or smogged. If you have trouble putting gas in, it's probably a blocked vent line. How that works is when you put gas in your car, it displaces air and gas fumes. Instead of them coming out in your face and in to the air we all breathe, those fumes are collected in a canister full of activated charcoal that soaks it up, and is purged and burnt with intake vacuum.

143,075

Hey, you are there..I had to spend half the afternoon getting rid of a worm I picked up somewhere..spyware. Finally got it

25

Good job. :) Good info on the evap code. I had that canister on my f-150 and it fell off when the bracket rotted. I was wondering what that thing did.

You guys are amazing!