I have a knock in my 2000 jeep grand cherokee

Asked by Sep 14, 2014 at 12:48 PM about the 2000 Jeep Cherokee 4 Dr SE 4WD

My wife's 2000 jeep grand Cherokee has a bad knock in it, I put oil in it for it was low but
the knock is still there even when I let the SUV warm up. I got a oil change last month
,we got it used and a tune up has never been done to it since we got it . What can I do ?
or am I suppose to look for a new car?

Not much can be done,accept a rebiuld,when oil ran low it probably burnt or spun a main bearing.

So I guess it's safe to say I need a new car? But is it safe to drive?

Yes you can drive it,but that said it may run with knock for a while,or it may run for a few minute,s before it sling,s a rod threw the block.

Ok thank you very much,can it hurt anyone by doing so?

No,it will just hurt the motor in the jeep.

Just a thought. Does the knock sound low in the engine or more towards the top? Some jeep engines are known for lifter tick. If sound is towards the top of engine this might be what you are hearing.

Ok again thank you for your time. Got another question I got a 2003 volkswagen jetta 1.8t 5speed it goes in gear but when I go to switch it into second the rpm goes up but the car barley moves .it moves slowly from second gear to when I shift into fourth, if I go to give it more gas the rpm goes up again.

It's from the top mainly but of course I can hear it from the bottom

Top Knock may not be as bad,as dandyoun said,but it is still there,may drive it for a while with a lifter tap.

I think it may be the clucth going bad,it is standerd right?

Is a lifter tap something I can fixs? With the vow yes it stick and that's what I thought it was.thank you

It can be fixed,but it would require,removal of the head,and rebiuld it.

What would suggest I do?i live paycheck to paycheck.

Keep oil in it and drive it.

A sea foam oil treatment may help clean and quite them. Not changing oil properly causes sludge to build up in the lifter. But if looking to replace them I would also consider replacing the cam shaft. Have heard of jeep owners just replacing lifters and still having the lifter tick issue due to the lobes on the cam shaft being worn. If mine I would do the sea foam treatment and drive it. Now that's if it is lifter tick.

If the knock- tick is on top try the seafoam however drain it immediately afterwards! IOW CHANGE THE OIL seafoam has detergents in it that will loosen crud but this will run through engine if not drained! If knock is on lower end of car it is a ticking time bomb it may last 5 minutes , 5 months , 5 seconds! If it slipped a rod bearing it is only a matter of time before it blows up internally! No more engine! Either trade it in or repair it ASAP, either way it is going to cost you $$$' down the road!

For a 2003 Grand lifter tap; you can take the valve cover off to see if the rocker arm moves in anyway! If so; you can use a lifter remover to pull it out of the one hole that it's in and oil it then replace just that one lifter. Put it back together; new gasket, spec. it! Drive it!