i need some help

25

Asked by Jul 26, 2014 at 09:44 PM about the 2001 Jeep Cherokee 4 Dr Limited 4WD

when i start the jeep it makes this loud screaching noise with a grinding noise at the
same time its almost like its a bad belt but when u rev the jeep the screach goes away
and still does the grinding noise but when rev comes back to idle the sqreach comes
back and the grinding stays happening

65,725

Check your idler pulley.

34,195

Could your starter be not discharging?

25

i makes like an eee chchch eee chchch eee chchch but consistant and when i rev it the eee goes away and the grinding persists and when back at a regular idle it goes back to ee chchc eee chchch eee chchch

111,155

I agree. Idler or tensioner pulley bearing going out. Could also be ac compressor, power steering pump or alternator trying to lock up. With use of hard vacuum cleaner hose or short piece of PVC pipe you can locate which one is acting up. Open hood with vehicle idling and carefully position one end of pipe down around each pulley while holding other end to your ear. When noise gets it loudest in your ear you have found which one is bad. Use caution not to get hand or pipe into any moving parts.

25

will try thanks

111,155

Also if it's dark out and no lights shining on the engine sometimes you can actually see small sparks from the bad item.

25

didnt know that dandyoun will try thnks alot for all you guys help its my first car but i know a lil something i wanna make a rockcrawler and stuff just need to fix it u a lilbit

111,155

Let us know if we can help. Drive safe.

25

will do thanks guys

25

i tryed tuging on each individual pully and non of them budged there all tight i will try the pvc thin when its a little bit later its to early or that loud of a noise sound definately comes from the area of where all the pullies are located so i think its definately that but what about the grinding noise could that also be the torque convertor or do u know of anything else in the engine bay tht could make a loud grinding sound?

111,155

Use caution not to get hands or anything caught in the belt or fan.

111,155

If the pulley bearings are bad or one of the other belt driven acc is going bad(which to me that's what it sounds like - one or the other is bad) it will make all the sounds that you have been describing.