my check engine light came on and when I tried to accelerate my neon started cutting out and making a knocking sound..any ideas??

Asked by May 15, 2012 at 09:16 AM about the 2005 Dodge Neon 4 Dr SE Sedan

237,655

A check engine light is an emission related sensor or vacuum hose issue. So if one of these sensors goes bad, you will get driveabilty issues. You need to check the codes to determine where to start. YOu'll need a scan tool or visit an autozone in the states. You can also try this, not sure if it will work on your car. "If you have a newer neon with a digital odometer you can view the codes by turning the key to accessory and back without starting three times, the fourth time it should display the codes where your mileage is usually displayed."

295

Sounds to me like a Throttle Position Sensor. Have your Check Engine Light scanned, that'll confirm what I just told you. Lol! Also, the CEL (Check Engine Light) will come on for a number of reasons... Not just emmission issues. It could also be your EGR Valve, easy way to test that is unplug it and then start it up. If it is running smoother, then there's your problem.

1,555

alan 05 neons didnt have an EGR

295

All vehicles have EGR Valves. That's a federal regulation.

1,555

i tell you what alan, if you can find an EGR on any 00-05 neon take a picture of it and post it. i can assure you after 99, neons werent equipped with one. in fact after 01 they didnt even cast an egr port in the heads anymore.