Throttle body

155

Asked by Mar 09, 2013 at 08:00 AM about the 2003 Chevrolet Venture LT Entertainer

I noticed that my accelerator pedal kinda stuck up form time to time. When I asked my mechanic he
said it's the throttle body that needs replacement. I saw a cheap used part on eBay, do you
recommend buying a used throttle body? Do you think I can try replacing it myself? Sorry David if
this is starting to be a workshop hehehe. You see I'm treating this car as a hobby.

251,065

If your throttle body is sticking, I would just purchase some throttle body cleaner and clean it first of all the carbon that is making it stick and save some money on a used or new one.

155

Great money-saving suggestion Tom. I'll try it out myself? What do you think? Could a "15 year-old" handle it?

251,065

Sure can, look on youtube for a how to video.

Good morning Tom. Does he need to take it off to clean it or simply spray in place?

251,065

I usually take off the air hose and spray it down in place. Manually move the throttle plate inside with the throttle cable to open it to get the back side and wipe down with a clean rag.

Thanks.....http://wrenchwise.com/index.php/233/chevrolet/how-to-clean-the-throttle-body-in-a-chevrolet-venture-engine/

155

Masters, David sent me a link on How-to. I noticed a new part name --- throttle position sensor. What is this? Is this a part of the throttle body? Does this taste good? hahaha

99,945

Throttle bodies are pretty basic. There are a couple of things to check. One is the condition of the pivots that the throttle plate revolves on. They should be clean, lubricated and tight. The second area is where the throttle plate meets the inner bore of the throttle body. After thousands of closings, the metal can wear away and cause sticking. --- Check both of those areas on your throttle body and any used one that you are planning to install. While you are looking in that area, check the area around the throttle cable cam and the cruise control cable to see if the hanging up that you are experiencing is external. Also check around the gas pedal. -- Some repair shops will be happy to sell you unnecessary parts...

155

Very nice additional tips master TS, I will check these as well. Yes you are right about the repair shops. This is why I'm so glad I found this community. Best second opinions I got! From hereon, I'll post my question here --- FIRST. Thanks again guys!

Then there is IAC or Idle Air Control.....http://www.ehow.com/how_5560811_clean-chevy-iac-valve.html

Yep Sid there a many many sites that when you ask a question, the first thing you have to do is get your credit card out....

155

Wait master David, take it easy on your apprentice :) What is this throttle position sensor? Is this a part of the throttle body? Does this taste good? hahaha Then what is this IAC?

The throttle position sensor, or TPS, monitors the position of the throttle. The TPS is a potentiometer that sends an electrical signal to the powertrain control module. The PCM uses this information to adjust fuel/air mixtures. A faulty TPS will cause erratic idling since it sends the wrong information to the PCM. ........$20

155

Eureka! I had an idling problem months ago that mysteriously disappeared. My idling Rpm was going 2,000 which I thought was due to the stuck-up throttle body. What do you think Dan? are these interrelated problems? My throttle body, MAF, and now TPS...

Any one of those could cause a problem. Combined, domino effect or individually. You know what>>? I have been avoiding saying this but go to a parts place and have your OBD codes read, do not pay them and do not buy anything, write them down and come back here

155

This is one of the top 3 tips I got David. I will get the OBD codes and come back. Have a nice day guys!

Likewise Sid ..who is Dan?

155

Ooooops I'm so sorry, Dan is my mechanic. I was chatting with him separately, about what I learned from you guys. Cheers!