I have a 2004 Chevy Venture won't start properly

Asked by Feb 05, 2015 at 04:57 PM about the 2004 Chevrolet Venture LS

'm having hard start problems. In order for the car to start I have press on the gas pedal
repeatedly before it will start. I have changed the fuel filter, MAF Sensor, and idle sensor.
what the problem be?

You may have low fuel pressure. You can buy a fuel pressure tester and check it. Not sure what the pressures should be at on your model. You may have to do some research. You may need a new fuel pressure regulator.

If it was the fuel pressure regulator will the car not run smoothly? the reason i ask is because the car runs fine once it starts

I have never had one go bad on my vehicle, so I really have never experienced it first hand. I have heard people say to turn the key on to Accessory three times and then start it. The reasoning is that by doing that three times, you will actually build enough fuel pressure so on the 4'th turn when you actually hit the ignition, it should start. I guess that's the inexpensive way of testing for a bad regulator. You can give it a try and see if it fires up the way it used to. Essentially that's what you are really doing every time you crank the car over and it's not starting. For every time you try to start it, you are building up more pressure. On that 4'th or 5'th time it will fire up and run fine. You could also have a stuck open or leaky injector. That could be bleeding off pressure also. Have you noticed a gas smell under the hood at all?