I have to press on the gas pedal to start the car. What could it be

40

Asked by Jan 17, 2015 at 12:34 PM about the 2004 Chevrolet Venture LS

There's fuel pressure so I'm
assuming that the fuel pump is
working and changed the fuel filter
less than a year ago. I also used b12
carburetor cleaner and it still start
without pressing on the gas.

8,060

If you depress the accellerator pedal in a fuel injected vehicle, it opens the throttle plate, all this can do is make air available, and give the throttle position sensor a reading. more air would flow over your MAF. So now, WHAT CODES are in the computer's memory ? and is there a reason it does better with more air ? is there a fuel pressure regulator you can run tests on during your fuel pressure check? Does your car have outstanding recalls or TSB's that apply? like for hard starting or extended cranking time ? This is the first I have heard of this one. I must ask, are you running A/C Delco plugs and replacement parts ? And does a visual inspection show any cracked, split, loose fitting hoses or pcv system parts or grommets ?

40

So i cleaned the idle air control valve and there was a hose that was disconnected which I don't know what the technical name is for it but it goes into the master flow. Now it's working like it should. Thanks for your response.

8,060

Perhaps a breather hose or some other crankcase vent related name. Yea, it seems since the emissions standards were tightened up and the sealing up of that, hard starting can be the result, but if it is after the first sensor, it could have been making unmetered air and throwing off the resulting responses of the system? probably.

8,060

I had a 6 cyl GM car like that to fix once. The guy had it given to him because they were tired of slinging the same parts store goodies at it repeatedly. Cranks and cranks, finally starts when they were about to have a dead battery, wanted me to replace a list of stuff. Yea it had eaten another brand new chinese module, but what fixed the extended crank time was found later. There was a loose fitting hose and a pcv grommet. GM had issued a bulletin about it but I had to research it at the library to find it.

40

Back to the drawing board. Cleaning out the idle valve and adjusting the host did not fix the problem. I will have someone come over to plug in the machine and see what kind of readings I get.

8,060

after you read the codes, remove the battery cable and allow the computer to forget. when reconnecting and starting, operate all the functions and accessories and then drive hwy and city. any returning code after a complete drive cycle may be believed at that point if you do not run the car while working on it, so do that relearn last.