How do I release rear seat that is missing the release pull strap?

Asked by Apr 14, 2015 at 11:52 AM about the 2005 Dodge Magnum R/T

The pull strap that releases the rear seat came off and the seat is in the up position.  How
do I release the seat to be able to re-install the release strap.  The latch is hidden behind
the side molding/plastic that lines the rear cargo area.  Can't figure out how to access the
latch.

80

Besides replacing the strap you'll probably end up replacing that cover plate also; you'll probably destroy it. There are 3 screws holding that cover plate on, 2 you can get to, 1 you can't. Take the 2 screws on the back of that cover plate off, bend the cover away and you'll be able to trip the release. Once you do you can get to the 3rd screw to finish removing the plate (which will probably be un-repairable at this point) and finish replacing the release loop.

10

I sent my macho man roomie out to see if he could see a better way than ruining the plate. While he was out i kept thinking there might be a way to get something in to pull the bolt and I came up with using a metal hanger to pull it. I took a hanger and needle nose pliers to cut and shape the hanger out to the car. I sat facing the seat, pushed the fabric to the left (driver's side back seat) to see the bolt-like piece that holds the latch and used my finger to pull it forward and the latch released. It was that simple!!! PS My roomie had scratched up the plate by the time I got to try my solution.