Battery Replacement 2012 VW Jetta

10

Asked by Mar 04, 2017 at 09:09 AM about the 2012 Volkswagen Jetta SEL

Was looking for etaylor20, who was very helpful, but I must've done this wrong. We have a 2012 VW Jetta that needs a new battery.  We were told that it has to go to a dealer because once the battery is removed and replaced, the car has to be "reprogrammed" or won't move.  Is that a thing?  Can someone help?

50

You can download VAG OBDII apps from the appstore or playstore, you'll need a bluetooth OBDII scanner they're on Amazon for $15 to $60.

10

Okay, I'm not sure why I would need a diagnostic tool. I can't work on the car myself unfortunately. So I need to take it someplace to have it done and was just wondering if it needs to be a VW dealer? AutoZone told me removing and replacing the battery would necessitate it being "reprogrammed" before it would start again. Didn't know if that was true or if they just had a bad experience in doing so. But thanks for your answer.

50

It allows you to register the battery and check and clear the fault codes. Cheaper then taking it to the dealership. Also it helps you know what's going on prior to going to the dealer.

Curious as to what route you went - my 2012 jetta needs a new battery and am wondering if I can just take it to autozone.

115,555

Use a code saver when changing batteries. Don't use the crappy 9V battery ones but one that uses a car battery for a power source. A long cord that plugs into your OBD2 connector and another cars cigarette lighter is about $15 on Amazon.

10

To Guru98N6, I actually went to the dealer. I called our Auto Zone and they said they wouldn't do it because they had to actually have one towed to a dealer following installation because it had to be reset. So the dealer said we had an Interstate battery that was less about 4 years old. He suggested that we do NOT need a new one. On further questioning, it turns out my son (now this is his first car ever) kept having to jump the car because of leaving his radio on when he washed it AND (sad to admit) he left the lights on more than once....so, I'm sorry to cry wolf. I urged him to download a copy of the owner's manual, as one did NOT come with the car, so he could check to see if he has automatic headlights. I know you can just go out and look at the car, but it's not my job, ya know? So, apparently this crisis has been averted and can possibly be avoided if he pays attention and takes care of his own car. Thanks to all who have helped a desperate mom.

10

2012 jetta tdi: I had a small delay / problem finding in stock the <$20 version of a code saver cable (rejected the $3 and the $50 versions). In my search a man with calm confidence advised that it was not needed for that vehicle - "you will lose your radio buttons, but nothing important" . That is not what happened - WE DID NOT EVEN LOSE RADIO BUTTONS! I did need /use a ten inch extension on my socket wrench to easily reach the bracket bolt ($10 @ autozone). No need to remove entirely - loosen only until enuf room created to pull out battery. I had 2 existing 3 inch extensions, but together not enough. Without the extension you need start removing sev other parts for access. The 10 inch extension made the whole job take 10 minutes (not including the return trip for the extension). Upon start up a few unrecognized dash codes appeared. Owners manual said these will clear after driving for 5 miles. Cleared after driving for 30 feet! Cheers