How do I get my key out of the driver door (if I tried to lock from the outside while car is running)?

Marie Lloyd

Asked by Dec 01, 2014 at 07:12 PM about the 2012 Volkswagen Jetta TDI

I wanted to leave my car running to warm up while going into a Quick Stop for some key is in ignition and I use my other set to try locking the driver door. It WILL lock and/or unlock door(s) just fine, I just cannot get my spare key out the driver door outside handle lock. Thank you.

Get some graphite lock lubricant.

Marie Lloyd

I have Loctite Silicone Spray...or Liquid Wrench Silicone Spray. KenF, will either of those work?

Michael Kane

I would lubricate the lock/key with wd40 will work if you dont have graphite spray. After lubrication try removing the key it may require you jiggle the key until it come loose. If it still doesnt come free you may have to take it to the dealer.

Michael Kane

Any of those should work.

Marie Lloyd

Thanks...Helpful but not effective I'm afraid! Looking like I will need to visit the dealer. =(

Graphite lock lubricant is a dry powder that won't gunk up the lock. Solvent sprays (like WD40) however provide only temporary lubrication, once it evaporates it leaves a moisture barrier behind. IF you do use WD40, don't use a graphite powder after it until the WD40 has had time to completely evaporate. You only have to use a very VERY small amount. I'd try to just grab hold of the broken key and jiggle it around. You could also try icing the key to shrink the metal some, maybe it'll be enough to free it from whatever's got ahold of it.

the locks are built with a slider that slides over the coved portion of your key when you inster it willing to bet since you never use it it is jsut not lubed enough to move. But also to note the doors are not ment to have the key put in the door while the car is running to lock it. If you have a keyfob use that instead and jsut put some wd40 in the door lock and jiggle your key a bit a few times and it will eventualy come loose once you have done this a few times.