Location of the 480-watt Harman Kardon sound system power amp

5

Asked by Feb 24, 2012 at 12:43 AM about the 2012 MINI Countryman S

Had an issue with the Tech package and was told that when the windows were tinted they used so much water it fried the power amp?? Well first off the issue with the power amp happened 4 weeks after tiniting the windows. If the power amp got wet from the tiniting I dont think it would work for 4 weeks then go out. I'm going to the dealership to discuss with them tomorrow and check out what they are saying. I asked where is the power amp located and I was told in the back. This made me ask what happens if I put a cooler in the back and it leaks - will the amp be going out again? Of course they are saying this is not covered under the warranty becuase the window tiniting caused the issue. Just doesn't add up to me how that took the amp out 4 weeks later and I feel like the dealership is trying to pull a fast one. Plus I feel that if this is the case them why do I need to pay $1200 dollars for a poor design issue by Mini! Anyone else out there having an issue with the power amp?

1,585

the amp is usually located in the side panel under the rear window. so a leaking cooler in your boot area is very unlikely to cause an issue. the only reason i can think that it may have taken a month to show up is if the issue is due to corrosion in the plug hsg meaning the unit is not connecting. or water ingress caused corrosion on the control board which has caused an issue of high resistance over time. however if it is at your cost go back to whoever tinted it, its their mistake not yours.

10

hello! i have the same problem... after tiniting the windows i left and in 10 minutes my sound disappeared, i have a mini countryman sd with HK sound system. what was dealers solution, what you did to resolve this problem???

The dealer will never take responsibility for a faulty design on a car. When the tint people are installing the tint they are working with the back hatch open, therefore when they are working all the water is coming back down on top of them, but it's ok the windows don't have to be soaked in order to tint a window they just need to be wet so that the film can slide around and the solution on the film will stick to the glass. It is highly unlikely that the tint people, unless they don't have any experience tinting would have gotten so much water in there that it blew out your amplifier. If that were the case we better hope that it never rains, because the glass does not go all the way down your panel and water will get inside as soon as you wash your car or it starts to rain.