Is anyone having a problem with Black spots of soot on the back bump of there 2012 Sonata Turbo?

Asked by Jan 26, 2013 at 05:08 PM about the 2012 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T SE

I purchased a 2012 Sonata Turbo from Liberty Hyundai in New Hudson,  Michigan on day one I noticed the tail pipes
was black with carbon and hundreds of black spot all over the back bumper and Trunk lid. Dealer has no answer yet.
Have visited other dealers and Techs hopelessly don't know whats wrong. They tell me it burns rich. My car is silver,
but at time it has THOUSANDS of BLACK SPOTS ALL OVER IT. Washing them off often gets expensive. It now has
over 45,000 miles and Hyundai still doesnt know whats wrong.  For your info all bluetooth phones didnt work with
this car either and dealers dont tell you that at time of purchase, I learned that when the radio froze for serval days
and then the dealership tells me I have to have one of the approved cellphone models at there website:
www.hyundaiusa.com/bluetooth             When I checked it it had very few phones on it. If I had only knew I would
have not purchased this car.

26,365

I really feel for you...As much as I want to give Korean cars a chance and as nice as the Hyundai Genesis Coupe and Kia Forte are...I seriously doubt that I will EVER have confidence in them. Samsung makes one hell of a smartphone in the Galaxy SIII though....surprised that a cellphone from Korea wouldn't work in a Korean car...Ask the dealer what's the deal with THAT! LOL! But seriously, I'd dump that car ASAP and get into something else!

99,925

Try SoftScrub or a clay bar to remove the black spots. Hyundai isn't going to do anything.

26,365

I stand corrected..I looked at the Hyundai Bluetooth Support site and see that Samsung phones are supported (including the Galaxy SIII). Shocked that ALL BT Phones aren't supported though, as you said. What make of phone & what carrier are you using....I have AT&T and MANY of the popular/common phones are listed from what I can see, including the iPhone 5. Kinda weird about the black spots/soot ..something to do with the muffler /exhaust tips? Would seem to be a fixable problem, IMO.

21,085

the exaust is being grabed by air turbulence maby tail pipe to stubby add extension to pipe and later fix the rich air fuel mix, your wasting gas, or do you have a lead foot to call for more power that would tell the ecm" more coal, more coal ! "

20

I have a 2 week old 2013 Azera with 1,000 miles. Excessive sooty build- up in exhaust pipes and 6 inches up my white bumper. Dealer won't do a thing. The black soot has stained my rear bumper after only 2 weeks. What is it going to look like in 6 months, 1-2 years. Horrible!!!!! Don't buy a Hyundai. I'm sorry I did and it will be the last one!!!!!

10

If I didn't know better I would have thought you wrote my post. I have exactly the same situation. A white 2013 Azera with black soot stains on my white bumper that have stained it tremendously. Dealer says the car is not running "rich". He says "they all do it" but since mines white, "it shows up more". What a crock! I love the car. I loved my Sonata that I traded in to get the Azera. But if this is the best they can do maybe it's time to see if I love an Accord.

5

Okay, can I cut and paste a few of your posts???? I've had the 2013 Genesis since January of this year. It's silver so the soot may not show quite as bad as on a white vehicle. I either have my car detailed or do it myself on a regular basis and the soot is really getting annoying. Had it serviced today after returning from a 3600 mile trip and the tech advised I was a half quart low on oil. Also my husband and I washed the car twice during the trip and still has substantial buildup each time. Service tech advised this shouldn't be happening. Will definitely be complaining to Hyundai tomorrow.......

There are thousands of posts on all Hyundai GDI engines and noone has mentioned that this soot is also polluting the air. These cars are emitting particulate emissions into the atmosphere. Thought that newer cars where much cleaner. I am sure the EPA will catch up to this and Hyundai will claim some sort of B.S. just like their erroneous MPG claims . This is the more important issue than waxing your car more often. Imagine if these guys used Takada air bags. Glad I leased mine so If the Shit hits the fan I can turn it in. If you own one good luck.

I have a white 2015 Genesis and the bumper and trunk get full of the sooty deposits just like the Azera's I owned before. The mixture is too rich and that is why local gas mileage is 13-15 or lower. Hyundai will not do anything as all their engines do the same thing. Love the car but hate that the average mpg in 12,000 miles is 17 which will most likely be my last Hyundai. Going to Audi or Volvo. Maintenance might be higher but the mpg is much higher