I've never owned a VW

1,895

Asked by Jun 21, 2012 at 06:31 PM about the 2012 Volkswagen Passat TDI SE

Hi, all.  Just wondering if anyone here has a new Passat TDI.  Just sold my old Honda commuter car, and am
thinking of going diesel.  I've seen mixed reviews on VW's (reliability, and such).  I'll admit, I'm leery of European
cars, having been a Jap car owner for over 20 years.  I'm quite taken with the idea of a 40+ mpg, standard
transmission, diesel car!  Please, any thoughts?

237,455

The new 2012 Passat is made in the USA. If you have diesel stations around you, then it might make sense for you to purchase. The reviews can be mixed and you might get lucky and not have any issues. I was thinking of purchasing one myself, but I don't like the smell of diesel, even though the new ones you can't really smell it, and it does make a little more noise than a gas powered car. You can read all you want and ask a million questions, and you'll get many answers, all good, some bad, but until you actually drive it and get some seat time in it, you can't judge a vehicle on the internet. Just my 2 cents.

1,895

I didn't know they are American made. I have a classic Land Cruiser that's diesel, usually I burn biodiesel from a local outlet. Smells like French fries! I plan on doing a test drive soon, just curious about any experiences others have had. Seems for a while, people were getting either an amazing VW, or one with constant issues. No particular model, just a huge variation in quality from car to car. I can't speak from experience, just what I've heard around town.

40

Great car, just bought the 2012 diesel and took a trip from Fl to Va 888 miles. Cruised at 85 weaving in and out of traffic. Average 40 miles to a gal. Smooth ride and lots of power. Used to own a jetta diesel but this is roomier. Love it

Best Answer
1,415

I cant say much for new ones, but my 2000 tdi beetle is awesome- its pushing 200K and a new clutch cost me $1000, but otherwise 40+ MPG and fun to drive. Minor maintenance is about it -- it has no diesel markings so it is very hard to tell it is diesel, except that it has more power than gas ones!!

95

As the proud owner of a '96 TDI, I would emphatically say, find one and buy it. TDIs aren't found as easy as the VW gas models, but it's worth the search. TDIclub.com is a good place to find well taken care of and 1 owner cars if you want pre-owned that were German built. I'm just over 250K and have tracked my fuel mileage on Fuelly.com @ 48.1mpg for over 2 years. You can find parts for very reasonable prices on the internet and the vehicle is easy to work on. Good luck!!!

75

I actually test drove a 2013 Jetta tdi and 2013 Passat tdi yesterday (6/8). I really liked the Passat a little more, seemed roomier even though the specs on them show them to be very equal on size. The sound is no different than a gas engine, driving on the highway, all I heard was the tire noise, which was quite loud from the OEM tires for some reason. You don't even smell it. I have a 2000 F350 diesel, you smell and hear that, but you do not hear or smell anything on the tdi. Do not use anything over 5% bio in it if you purchase it. I liked it so much, I put my 2006 Tacoma on here to sell and on craigslist because after it sells, I'm buying the tdi Passat. I was looking at the mid grade (no nav, no fender speakers), window sticker said 29,020, they immediately told me they would sell it for 27,895. Keep that in mind if you decide to purchase it, don't pay sticker!! Good luck.

I HAVE JUST BOUGHT A 2.0 TDI BLUE MOTION AUTO AND IT WILL DO AN AVERAGE OF 56MPG (uk gallon)AND IS VERY QUICK,TOP SPEED IS 130MPH AND 0 TO 60 IS APPROX 10 SECONDS.LOADS OF TORQUE AND A JOY TO DRIVE.THE CAR USES STOP START TECHNOLOGY TO GIVE IT GOOD ECONOMY.(US GALLON IS 0.8327 UK GALLON)