2002 jetta turns over but won't start why ?

70

Asked by Oct 21, 2014 at 08:07 AM about the 2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T

my 2002 vw jetta turns over but won't start what could be the problem ?

335

Does it have enough gas? When was the last time it started?

7,705

could be a bunch of things such as, Bad Spark, No gas, Clogged fuel-filter, Bad Gas pump, Broken Vacuum line, Clogged or carbon deposited air sensors.. and the list goes on. But the place you want to start is you work from the top and work your way down. Start with Does the car have spark ? check all 4 spark plugs. If there's spark move on to the air ways, check your air filter and MAF (MASS Air Flow Sensor) Is probably dirty so clean it with MAF cleaner. Move on to vacuum lines check all hoses you can visually see for breaks or leaks. If nothing is wrong hear check the cylinders for fuel by turning your key a quick turn with out the plugs in. use a solid piece of plastic to prob for dampness in the cylinders. If there is no fuel in the cylinders check all the fuel lines back to the fuel filter for leaks. If the fuel filter has not been replaced in over a year it would be best to replace it then try starting the car again after priming the system with 4 power on's *do not try to start just have the pump turn on 4 times to re prime the fuel filter* if it still does not have fuel move to the fuel pump and check to make sure you hear the buzzing noise it makes when you turn the key to power on. if no noise is present you found your issue. check for power at the pump first if there is power then replace the pump but only if your sure its the pump.

70

yes. It has gas. We let it sit overnight and it started right up. then happened again 5 days later. Same thing, sits overnight and starts up the next morning.

7,705

go threw my list and trouble shoot to solve your issue. And its sounding like its more a bad sensor then anything. does the car have trouble starting after you drive it for say an hr or more then park for about 30 mintues in the sun ? if so thats most likely a bad throtale tempature sensor. its mounted in the thortal body right on top.

55

Did you ever solve this problem? Im currently having this issue

30

I'm having the same problem please help

7,705

read threw what i posted and you can pin point your problem. Also any garage with a vagcom system can help solve your issue as well.

30

I have the same problem I just change the crankshaft sensor, the mass air flow sensor, the camshaft sensor, it has a new water pump, new spark plug and wire. The car turn but it won't start it make the noise has if it would be out of time but I had just put it in time it turn on and everything I went for a test drive and it work I turn it off and try to turn it back on it was on for a few second and it turn off ever seen it won't start no more. Help me please

7,705

go threw the check list mate, if it still dont start then come back.

I change crank sensor Cam sensor ignition coil still won't start

7,705

go back up to the top and read threw the first post also look down the drivers side of ht engine and follow the rad lines. when you hit a 4 point flange attached to the side of the head check this for leaks or cracks. more often then not the temp sensor mount causes the sensor to fail and causes the car to not start. replacing the flange and sensor is normally the fix.

20

fuel injector fuse, NO32 replace it and she'll start

What would cause my 02 jetta have no spark, no power to the coil?

7,705

check the fuses first then the ignition would be my second point to look at. The coil pack may be the issue as well but i leave expensive replacments till last.