2002 jetta turns over but won't start why ?

110

Asked by Oct 21, 2014 at 08:07 AM about the 2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T

my 2002 vw jetta turns over but won't start what could be the problem ?

595

Does it have enough gas? When was the last time it started?

12,455

could be a bunch of things such as, Bad Spark, No gas, Clogged fuel-filter, Bad Gas pump, Broken Vacuum line, Clogged or carbon deposited air sensors.. and the list goes on. But the place you want to start is you work from the top and work your way down. Start with Does the car have spark ? check all 4 spark plugs. If there's spark move on to the air ways, check your air filter and MAF (MASS Air Flow Sensor) Is probably dirty so clean it with MAF cleaner. Move on to vacuum lines check all hoses you can visually see for breaks or leaks. If nothing is wrong hear check the cylinders for fuel by turning your key a quick turn with out the plugs in. use a solid piece of plastic to prob for dampness in the cylinders. If there is no fuel in the cylinders check all the fuel lines back to the fuel filter for leaks. If the fuel filter has not been replaced in over a year it would be best to replace it then try starting the car again after priming the system with 4 power on's *do not try to start just have the pump turn on 4 times to re prime the fuel filter* if it still does not have fuel move to the fuel pump and check to make sure you hear the buzzing noise it makes when you turn the key to power on. if no noise is present you found your issue. check for power at the pump first if there is power then replace the pump but only if your sure its the pump.

110

yes. It has gas. We let it sit overnight and it started right up. then happened again 5 days later. Same thing, sits overnight and starts up the next morning.

12,455

go threw my list and trouble shoot to solve your issue. And its sounding like its more a bad sensor then anything. does the car have trouble starting after you drive it for say an hr or more then park for about 30 mintues in the sun ? if so thats most likely a bad throtale tempature sensor. its mounted in the thortal body right on top.

75

Did you ever solve this problem? Im currently having this issue

60

I'm having the same problem please help

12,455

read threw what i posted and you can pin point your problem. Also any garage with a vagcom system can help solve your issue as well.

70

I have the same problem I just change the crankshaft sensor, the mass air flow sensor, the camshaft sensor, it has a new water pump, new spark plug and wire. The car turn but it won't start it make the noise has if it would be out of time but I had just put it in time it turn on and everything I went for a test drive and it work I turn it off and try to turn it back on it was on for a few second and it turn off ever seen it won't start no more. Help me please

12,455

go threw the check list mate, if it still dont start then come back.

10

I change crank sensor Cam sensor ignition coil still won't start

12,455

go back up to the top and read threw the first post also look down the drivers side of ht engine and follow the rad lines. when you hit a 4 point flange attached to the side of the head check this for leaks or cracks. more often then not the temp sensor mount causes the sensor to fail and causes the car to not start. replacing the flange and sensor is normally the fix.

60

fuel injector fuse, NO32 replace it and she'll start

60

What would cause my 02 jetta have no spark, no power to the coil?

12,455

check the fuses first then the ignition would be my second point to look at. The coil pack may be the issue as well but i leave expensive replacments till last.

10

https://youtu.be/zvXOynOHywY This might help some of u

10

2.0 jetta non turbo, oil topped off brand new battery all power works car wont turn . 1 click. turned the crank . only 1 inch Both ways. took off the manifold and opened the cams. pistons move up and down crank wont turn .. will take off oil pan to see whats not moving ?

12,455

if its not turning its likely the starter. One way to figure this out is use a screwdriver to cross the points and if it turns over its fine if nothing happens but sparks then its dead. At that point i would jsut buy a new one. try a wreckers if you have one nearby. i picked one up once for 67$ it was brand new since the car i got it from had it just put on before it was put in the wreckers :P

10

I was at the lake sitting in my car, I have a bad habit of pushing down in the brakes while the car is off. When I went to start the car it wouldn't start. I had to leave it there the next morning I go back to get my car had my friend give me a jump but it still wouldn't start what's wrong with my car? Email me sitac802@gmail.com

I have a Jetta, has oil in the Plugs. Does this mean a blown motor? No because it turns over. Does this mean timing. The belt is not broken and I can see the teeth on all the gears are working. Just makes a weird Noise. And why oil in the Plugs? That is my biggest question. Could the person have missed the Hole? LOL

12,455

if there is oil in your plug holes 99% of the time its cause the oil is seeping threw your head cover gasket. Replace the gasket and there should not longer be an issue with oil in the plug holes. Hope that helps

my 02 jetta it trying to start but it wont i need help i need some one in kentucky to come look at it that knows what to do

2015 jetta diesel TDI worked great jntil sunday night running errands driving here stoping there go there and there and then all of a sudden last store and the car wont start sat for about 10 minutes . I added DEF fluid thinking that was the issue and walked away from it for about an hour came back worked fine . took to dealer monday Z nothing wrong with car . they changed fuel filter at this time and two days later it did the same thing leaving me stranded two hours from home . just wouldnt start , did crank though . back at dealer and they cant find problem they said its fine started ok about 10 times for them ( they also waited a day and half to even look at my car ) help please !

12,455

sounds like you likely have an issue with perhaps a over dirty sensor. try tearing apart your air ways and clean them as you go. also check the throtle body for signs of carbon possibly blocking the air flap and give it a good scrub with a rag and maf sensor cleaner. i would also have some one check the intake for signs of carbon build up as it can stop air flow.and as a side note is the key loose or have any play in the ignition ? often the key slot wll become loose and cause starting isues.

10

2002 jetta vr6 starts intermitantly had taken off battery would start then it would not go over 25mph then die. then it would start and run fin. now it will only start now and then then stop, if it starts at all. any ideas.

Could be your fuel relay

Also sounds like fuel filter could be full of sediment when fuel is being pulled from the tank the filter could be plugging up when it dies the sediment settles back down letting you be able to to start it again but will plug up again as you start it again.

I have an 08 Jetta it was running rough so i did and oil change, changed spark plugs, and got a new fuel filter after that it ran good for about a day or two then it wouldn't accelerate now itwont turn on at all what could it be?

12,455

gas, fuel, air, spark it needs all these to run check um one by one and make sure your fuel lines are tight. I installed my fuel filter once and it ended up pissing like a sive. installed my old one back on no issues.

Deathjam4 hey mine has spark as far as i know fuel and i tryed to crank it with starter fluid to see if she will fire no fire now it had crank sensor bad will that make it not start

12,455

yes it will make it not start. Think of an old car and the distributor. The crank sensor is like the distributor it keeps the spark in time for the engine just like the rotor does. if its bad then no spark ^.^

my brother in law just bought a 2002 Jetta. The guy said he was driving down the road and the car died and wouldn't start back up. We pulled it to my brother in laws house. The battery is charged but when you turn the key nothing happens. Its like its not getting any power.

12,455

Check the battery terminals. Also if it is not cranking at all it might just be the power wire to the starter. Try jumping the points to see if it spins. If it does it likely is a bad key ignition