Car dies while driving no signs or warnings!? HELP!

15

Asked by Apr 25, 2015 at 08:45 AM about the 2006 Dodge Stratus SXT

Driving on the highway last night my dodges check engine light pops on then immediately
the car dies and I lose control. I manage to get it off to the side of the road. I tried starting
the car and it turned over but wouldn't start. The battery was working cause all the
electronics in the car were running fine. My husband says he thinks something was with
the fuel pump or spark. He says it doesn't seem like it's getting the umph it needs to start.
But we are still unsure and would like some advice before we run to a mechanic and pay
big bucks for something we could've fixed at home.

11,840

if you are sure the battery is good and the connections are good, have the computer scanned for codes. it wouldn't hurt to check all the fuses and relays especially those associated with the fuel pump. can you hear the pump cycle when you turn the key to the on position without trying to start it?

15

Yes I can, my friend ran a diagnostics on it and it came back as the crankshaft position sensor, but now I can't find how to,locate and replace on my vehicle it's a 2006 dodge stratus set 2.4L

11,840

If a google search doesn't work, and I have a hard time locating a part, I go to Napa and ask them. Quite often they have the location and a picture of what it looks like. Hopefully you didn't lose a timing belt, but if you are getting a crank sensor code then that's probably it.

15

Well we replaced the crankshaft position sensor,many just last year the camshaft position sensor and the car will not start. The check engine light comes on blinks ten times then stays solid it cranks over but won't start. We had a buddy check with this instrument to see it it's getting spark and it is. I don't know what is going on! Is my car done for??

11,840

You didn't say how many miles were on the car, so its hard to say if its done for or not. However, if you take pretty good care of your cars and this problem just popped up, it should be fixable. Once diagnosed, only you can decide if you want to pay for the repair. Ok, you said you can hear the fuel pump, just because the pump is running, doesn't mean the fuel pressure is correct. In order for the car to start and run the pressure has to be within specs for your automobile. Look up the spec and test the fuel pressure.

15

Ok well I thank you for your help. I really appreciate it. My car has a little over 111,000 miles on it. But we figured out its the timing belt. It's completely broken. Ripped apart actually. We are going to try to do it ourselves we looked into the concept and some videos online. It's going to be a lot of work. I just hope there isn't anything else wrong

11,840

Ah I was afraid that might be it, just hoping to eliminate cheaper fixes first. Well, good luck. Mike.

250

My car keeps turning off on me when I'm driving it....no warning just shuts off!! What do I do and why is it happeneing

What kind of car you have? year Model

20

I have a 2000 dodge stratus ive replaced the crabk shaft AND cam sensor in it. It was totally fine for like almost 2yrs and then just started stalling out in park and then turning off completely. We just changed the spark plugs now its not stalling as much so im sure that was part of the problem but the check engine light pops up when it stalls now and it didnt do that before