NEED ADVICE!. 2006 dodge stratus sxt died in driveway. When i put key in to start it shows it's overheated. It has never overheated. Shop says i need new engine. So should i get a rebuilt for 5000 or dump the car.. Still owe 3000 on car and the body is fine..it's a 2006!! i'm thinking of the rebuilt...plz help

10

Asked by May 05, 2013 at 07:20 PM about the 2006 Dodge Stratus SXT

24,975

Is this the 4 or 6 cylinder model?? I would shop around for a better price on a rebuilt engine...$5k seems a little steep for a Dodge engine IMO.

10

4 cylinder. Just not to familiar with rebuilt engines. trust worthy. It's from a company called jasper

24,975

This is a tough call...assuming you have approx. 70k miles on the car, it's worth about $3800-$4500 (in a Private Party Sale) in Fair to Good Condition (Trade in to a Dealer will be less $$), so you'll be taking a hit if you get a rebuilt engine and decide to sell it later. Since you owe on it, you might want to bite the bullet and get it rebuilt, but again...I'd strongly suggest getting a BETTER quote from another installer, if you can!

10

thanks..going to shop around tomorrow on pricing..might even go to dodge..it is a high quote now that i have investigated. oh it has 125000 miles on it but i really want to pay it off first.. It should last longer with a rebuilt and it WILL have a warranty of some kind...thx again

24,975

You're welcome :) Best of luck on getting a better quote and hope your car is up and running soon! Keep us posted!

93,675

You can have a used engine installed for $1500-$2000. It is a seven year old vehicle. You don't need a rebuilt engine, a used engine will do fine.

24,975

Used engine makes a helluva lot more sense than a rebuilt one....tenspeed is right (he's a smart fella!). Get THAT done and you're back in business with less financial strain on your wallet!

10

Thanks yall. Wasn't sure if a used would be safe. It does have 120,000 miles but the car never had any issues other then 3 mths ago i had to put in a new cam shaft sensor and wiring which also makes me wonder if they did something to my car.... with 120000miles still ok to get a used? and have you heard of jasper engine repair.

93,675

Jasper is a well known brand. They take used engines and rebuild them to a like new condition.

20

Go with a rebuilt engine swap, which is much better than to just dump the car. As your car exterior is in good condition, you can save money with an engine swap rather than to buy a new car. There are many auto stores available online where you can buy a rebuilt engine with best value offers, like one I recently purchased at hiperformer.com. You will find an amazing range of used and rebuilt engines along with over 30 million OEM certified used auto parts with them.