Leaking Antifreeze

Asked by Feb 13, 2016 at 12:46 PM about the 2006 Dodge Magnum SE

My 2006 Dodge Magnum 2.7, 150k miles is leaking
antifreeze, it started when I topped the coolant reservoir
and I saw antifreeze leaking, it wasn't leaking before. I had
an oil change done and the mechanic told me the water
pump was leaking. Could it be that for some reason I
overfilled the reservoir and now it's leaking? Or is it
coincidental that the water pump went bad they day I
decided to fill the reservoir, which I didn't add a lot of.

6,485

somehow there seems to be a question here...first...do not fill the reservoir...does have (full HOT) and (full COLD) marks on the reservoir...the fluid very well be coming from the front of the water pump...which has a "weep hole" so it does not self destruct after the bearing is totally worn~...you know the waterpump goes round and round possibly 20 times for every revolution of the motor...so ya, they do wear out...as far as overfilling the reservoir there is a tube that you could recapture the excess so birdies to not drink it and die...besides you've got an old mickey's big mouth bottle sittin' around or such~ it is routine....pony up for the new waterpump....total should be less than $130.00~ hoses soft...please replace ALL of them and use "breeze" clamps or such~ word.

83,715

Ah, no, the water pump is leaking.

65,365

Water pumps do NOT turn 20 times for each revolution of the engine. They are pretty close to 1 to 1. Maybe open a hood and look at the size of the water pump pulley and the size of the pulley that drives the pump. The issue with this car is a coolant leak and that needs to be found. Could be cracked coolant reservoir, water pump, hose or something more serious such as bad radiator or head gasket. Doing a cooling system pressure test and looking very carefully at hoses, radiator, water pump and reservoir is what needs to be done here.

6,485

ATTACK....20 is wrong~ is this what we do here? 20 could have been ONE...point was bearing wears...HOLE leaks to avoid engine destruction...Jeez...we are all friends and get payed nothing...anyways 30 was an exaggeration...you got the point is the point~ back off man, I have MS and have NO JOB..show a little mercy here~

6,485

the word "possibly" gives my statement wiggle room~ dammit.~

6,485

I have done some calculation...just to whip the already dead horse...assuming the belt is 25" in diameter...it'd have a circumference of 78.54 water pump pulley is perhaps 5.5 in diameter meaning 17.27 in circumference...four revolutions and change would be the answer...if the sizes are typical~ not sure why we are proving the wear of a bearing which takes more abuse whir whir...than possibly any other moving part on the engine~

65,365

@ Bob_nueske...You have to use the drive pulley for the calculation. For Example I have new in the box a set of pulleys for a 2008 Mustang. The crank pulley (vibrational damper) is about the same size as the water pump pulley. Thus for every rotation of the crank the water pump turns approximately 1 revolution. It doesn't make any difference if the belt is 70" long or 70 miles long. The alternator does turn faster than the engine hence the smaller pulley. I wasn't trying to offend you. You were just wrong and I pointed that out. When trying to help someone we need to try to be accurate as possible.

6,485

sure Bob...agreed, this bearing is the single most "all used up" and thus the weep hole~ but I am also trying to express helpful Ideas...all based in reality and from my experience of fixing 50 dollar cars with NO money...a person could still stroll about the wrecking yard and fill his pockets with small stuff, then pay for things like a radiator, transmission, driveshaft and control arms...anything...actually bought a corolla with NO title pieced together with Junkyard parts~...points got stuck in the middle of the freeze, and I had to abandon that car~ so am filled with experience...wasn't until I became a professional in 1986 that I was able to earn enough money to buy my old Mercedes 230S (which still had fins)~ loved that car, so Gave it away to my fellow high-school photographer and great friend TOM...he tried to give it back....but the hood ornament would not last for two seconds and I do not have a garage....so this Rare car with over 700,000 miles on it drove from California to Wisconsin no problem~ great car~ the horn stuck on...jeez how embarrassing~

you cant see the water pump on a 2.7 it is be hind the timing cover how fast the water pump terns is not part of the qwest or the anser so wy talk a bout it ther is a wep hole on drivers side of engen theat will leak if water pump is leking