When I leave car on with the KEY FOB with me the car is still operable and will not shut off even though the key is not with the vehicle. Is this supposed to be or should it cut off after sometime?

Asked by Dec 15, 2014 at 12:03 PM about the 2012 Chrysler 300 S V6

my car runs even if key fob is not in car anymore. Example I get out of running car to
goto ATM with car running. Someone gets in car and drives off even though the key is
with me outside of car. Should car cut off after some distance away from key?

94,995

Once you start the engine as you normally do it completes the circuit until you shut it down then the circuit disengages. My question is why would you leave you car running anywhere? That's just asking for trouble. I'm beginning to understand why my wife keeps saying common sense is dead.

4,625

Hi I am assuming your 2012 Chrysler 300 has passive entry ...meaning it has a push button to start it and you leave your key fob in your pocket ...if you get out of your car and leave it running the win module detects the key has left....it will keep the engine running but will not let the vehicle be shifted out of gear until the key comes back into the car and is detected. hope this helps. MoparJohn

Seriously.... why on earth would you get out of your car and leave it running?????????????????????????????????????????????

50

First of all its nobodys business why another grown person does something. The question was very specific and if you cant answer the question without your holier than thou attitudes and comments, then get the f*** off the page! You act like you have never done anything questionable in your life before! Who the hell asked you what your ditzy ass wife says???? Most people insure their materials and leave it at that! Materials! Which are REPLACEABLE! Just worry about locking your own damn doors but in the mean time, answer the question Pope Francis!!!

10

Hi just a little info for anyone who wants a reason why anyone would do this... I came here because I had wondered how long I can leave my car running because: As any normal parent knows that lives in a drastic temperature area where cars can get 140+ degrees inside to sub-zero cold, if you put a newborn to infant in that car without temperature regulating it, well they can die in under a minute from shock. So... For those people who want to rush to judge and browbeat someone for leaving their car running and can't take five minutes to fathom a reason someone might want to turn their car on but not sit inside it while it is running is this reason for me. I live in the United States and I have 2 newborns. And I have a manual transmission car so I have to illegally leave the kids unattended for 30 seconds and risk prison time in our wonderful society to walk out to my car and turn it on then lock it up and let the temperature inside become normal while I sprint back to my front door before any looky loo neighbors call the cops because my children are not both in my arms 25 hours of the 24 long day... I hope this makes sense. And if it doesn't then I recommend you take a minute out of your life and use that wonderful imagination of yours to realize no one else out there lives exactly as you do and there's actually a ton of reasons why someone would want to turn on their car that they need running but don't have the ability to wait in their car as it runs to get to the point where they need to drive away. And before anyone says any remote start BS remember I said I have a manual transmission, no cars manufactured in the world come with remote start on a manual transmission due to lawsuit prevention if you don't know why please use that imagination again and picture a car starting up in first gear and driving away on its own and into a car or two before hitting a seeing eye dog leading a blind deaf and dumb war vet who also has Parkinson's and kreutzfeld-jakob disease. And to all those schmucks that don't know "dumb" is a term to delineate deafness, welcome to the world you wonderful millennial please get off your phone and get a job your parents are tired of supporting you. Ah that feels better.

I guess I am one of the people with no common sense because I did leave my car running. It ran for 7 hours, unlocked in a parking lot. I got out of it to ride with someone else. It was raining. I was trying to get my things out of my car and into the other one without getting soaked. I have keyless start on my Cadillac SRX. I also have the feature that will not let you lock your keys in your car. I evidently didn't lock my car either which is very unusual for me. It is a habit. My car ran for 7 hours with the key in my possession 60 miles away. I was glad to see someone post that the car will not go into gear without the key being in close proximity. Will verify with the GM dealership to see if that is true for my car. I am just grateful that no one took the opportunity to try. It might have worked. My car was a sitting duck, running and unlocked for 7 hours because I don't have common sense. I will admit that I could not believe that I had done such a thing. I am usually a very cautious person, but not this time. I have learned a very valuable lesson.