Is Volkswagon going to recall their radios?

Asked by Mar 24, 2015 at 09:28 AM about the 2011 Volkswagen Jetta SE w/ Conv and Sunroof

My 2011 VW Jetta car radio just died out of the blue, had fuses checked and no problem.  Radio dealer said this is the third VW Jetta that has had this problem where the radio just died that he has seen the last month.  Same make and model as my car.  I think there needs to be a recall since I have to pay almost $700 for a new one.

If you didn't know, recalls are for safety issues. Radio's are not on that list. Personally I would have installed an aftermarket one for a fraction of that cost vs an oem one.

I am concerned about getting another one in which they haven't fixed the problem. I was advised -- by the dealer - try to work through VWoA. When I called VWoA, the person on the phone said he hadn't heard of any campaigns... when I asked him about the PROBLEM, he again hadn't heard of any campaigns... VW of America has to know - they got a batch of bum radios. They read this column. They read tdiclub. They review their problem calls. Problem is, TDI owners keep their cars for 10 years. They may figure - hey, is he gonna junk the car over this? No. When it's new- car-time, will he come to us? "Well, we can say "uh, well, we'll take that under advisement when adjusting the price"..." --- no incentive for them to handle it now. Probably better to ignore it.

Same thing happened to me on my 2011 jetta and VW has not heard of any problems...they are full of it!

My radio also died out of nowhere in June of 2014. Checked fuses they were fine. I think the fuse internally on the radio itself went bad. Had to pay a $100 deductible to get the unit replaced. Sounds like a bunch of these OEM installed radios have defective parts or were not sufficiently engineered.

My radio on my 2011 Jettas just died for no reason at all. Went to dearership and they charged $60.00 just to look at it. They came back and said internal problem and was not covered under warranty. To replace it would cost $600+ ..having no choice had to replace because Bluetooth runs thru radio. Any recourses that anyone knows of. Please help. $600 is a lot of money and with what VW is going thru now I'm losing my faith in them

I have a 2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI. First the AM reception died, roughly a year later the Satellite reception died. Now the FM reception is getting weaker. I'm not taking action until I hear definitively whether VW is buying back my generation of TDIs. Perhaps SiriusXM will pressure VW to address their radio reliability issues due to lost subscriptions.

Radio on my 2011 GTI just died. 600$ is a lot of money. Just had the intake manifold problem fixed last month, dealership charged me 330$ to clean the carbon buid-up. Now, it is the stereo... Huge disappointment!!!

Manufacturers install just so-so electronics when it comes to factory radios. Get yourself a great after market Alpine system with a separate amplifier. It will likely be the last time you'll ever have to deal with this. Alpine systems work great and while they can be expensive, they have certain price points for every budget. I've had several systems in various cars and Alpine is a solid choice. You will NOT be disappointed by its performance.

DEAD RADIO _ 2011 VW GTI vw dealer replaced my radio 1 - year ago :) One year later, 13 07 2016 same problem, another dead radio!!! THIS is SSUCKS :/ !!!

Pshemo80,. Just go ahead and purchase an Alpine, unless you are saying that the dealership replaced your radio for FREE?? Did they do this?? I highly doubt it.

And, even if they did, you're still having problems.

Same problem with my 2010 Jetta Sportwagen, last week radio just quit working. Completely dead. Fuses check good. I am pissed. Still paying for Sirius radio and can't use that OR the Bluetooth! Plus I have CD's that are stuck inside!