Is Volkswagon going to recall their radios?

Asked by Mar 24, 2015 at 09:28 AM about the 2011 Volkswagen Jetta SE w/ Conv and Sunroof

My 2011 VW Jetta car radio just died out of the blue, had fuses checked and no problem.  Radio dealer said this is the third VW Jetta that has had this problem where the radio just died that he has seen the last month.  Same make and model as my car.  I think there needs to be a recall since I have to pay almost $700 for a new one.

242,445

If you didn't know, recalls are for safety issues. Radio's are not on that list. Personally I would have installed an aftermarket one for a fraction of that cost vs an oem one.

30

I am concerned about getting another one in which they haven't fixed the problem. I was advised -- by the dealer - try to work through VWoA. When I called VWoA, the person on the phone said he hadn't heard of any campaigns... when I asked him about the PROBLEM, he again hadn't heard of any campaigns... VW of America has to know - they got a batch of bum radios. They read this column. They read tdiclub. They review their problem calls. Problem is, TDI owners keep their cars for 10 years. They may figure - hey, is he gonna junk the car over this? No. When it's new- car-time, will he come to us? "Well, we can say "uh, well, we'll take that under advisement when adjusting the price"..." --- no incentive for them to handle it now. Probably better to ignore it.

40

Same thing happened to me on my 2011 jetta and VW has not heard of any problems...they are full of it!

20

My radio also died out of nowhere in June of 2014. Checked fuses they were fine. I think the fuse internally on the radio itself went bad. Had to pay a $100 deductible to get the unit replaced. Sounds like a bunch of these OEM installed radios have defective parts or were not sufficiently engineered.

40

My radio on my 2011 Jettas just died for no reason at all. Went to dearership and they charged $60.00 just to look at it. They came back and said internal problem and was not covered under warranty. To replace it would cost $600+ ..having no choice had to replace because Bluetooth runs thru radio. Any recourses that anyone knows of. Please help. $600 is a lot of money and with what VW is going thru now I'm losing my faith in them

20

I have a 2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI. First the AM reception died, roughly a year later the Satellite reception died. Now the FM reception is getting weaker. I'm not taking action until I hear definitively whether VW is buying back my generation of TDIs. Perhaps SiriusXM will pressure VW to address their radio reliability issues due to lost subscriptions.

10

Radio on my 2011 GTI just died. 600$ is a lot of money. Just had the intake manifold problem fixed last month, dealership charged me 330$ to clean the carbon buid-up. Now, it is the stereo... Huge disappointment!!!

19,875

Manufacturers install just so-so electronics when it comes to factory radios. Get yourself a great after market Alpine system with a separate amplifier. It will likely be the last time you'll ever have to deal with this. Alpine systems work great and while they can be expensive, they have certain price points for every budget. I've had several systems in various cars and Alpine is a solid choice. You will NOT be disappointed by its performance.

20

DEAD RADIO _ 2011 VW GTI vw dealer replaced my radio 1 - year ago :) One year later, 13 07 2016 same problem, another dead radio!!! THIS is SSUCKS :/ !!!

19,875

Pshemo80,. Just go ahead and purchase an Alpine, unless you are saying that the dealership replaced your radio for FREE?? Did they do this?? I highly doubt it.

19,875

And, even if they did, you're still having problems.

20

Same problem with my 2010 Jetta Sportwagen, last week radio just quit working. Completely dead. Fuses check good. I am pissed. Still paying for Sirius radio and can't use that OR the Bluetooth! Plus I have CD's that are stuck inside!

My 2011 wv jetta's radio just died. And after reading all above comments I am mad that WV would not do anything about it. We also have a 2010 VW Tiguan and has been a pain! The car was 30 grand and we've spent like 15 more fixing problems on it. One major problem was that the electric steering system just died 3 yrs after having it, right after the warranty expired and we didn't buy an extended warranty. and that was a very expensive thing to fix!it should have never happen after only 3 yrs of having it. Seems to me that WV cars are a pice of crap. We will never own another WV ever again and I'm telling anyone I know about how crappy WV cars are!

19,875

Again, people, please realize that most car manufacturers are going to put a middle of the road sound system in your vehicle as standard equipment. After it fails and they eventually do, go out and get an aftermarket solution like an Alpine or Bose system. There are many really great systems out there and your local stereo shop can assist you. And, get it professionally installed, these are NOT easy installations, wires need to be carefully threaded through panels, underneath the carpeting, properly insulated, and terminated with exacting detail. Unless you are in the business of mobile electronics, and most people are definitely NOT, I absolutely suggest that you avoid fooling around with this. As for your other problems with the VW..... What did you expect, it's a VW, a German car, and they're not known for quality control. I have owned two VWs, a 1970 VW Beetle and 1978 VW Rabbit. I really thought that the water cooled Rabbit would be better than my 1970 VW, but, sadly I was wrong. I kept the Rabbit for 11 years and almost reached 200,000 miles, but, went through a clutch, engine rebuild and many other things. I will NEVER again purchase a VW or any other German car, and I don't recommend them to anyone. If you want a more trouble free car, get an Asian car like a Toyota, Honda or Subaru. By the way it doesn't matter how much you spent on the car, there's plenty of Mercedes-Benz cars with all kinds of problems.

10

2010 VW Jetta, radio died. Looking at 795 to replace. Not happy

10

2010 VW Jetta, radio died on the way to work. Looking at $898.00 to replace. VW north America could not care.

2010 jetta tdi sportwagon.. Radio is dead, not even the time.. And after diving about 15 min it comes back on, but week signal on fm and satalite.. Must remamber to remove cds when it comes back on. No use in fixing, waiting for final decisions for the TDI recal.